Is powder coating safe?

Banana

May 23, 2018
If I find a cage with powder coating, how can I tell if it is safe for a bird? Should I just avoid them completely or is there something else I can do to tell if it is safe? :52:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you buy a brand new cage, you should not need to worry about the powder coating on the cage.

If you buy a used cage, then if the cage has been repainted, it could be a cause for concern.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have a cage that has some rust and have been thinking about having it powder coated.
I always assumed powder coating was safe but I don’t know that for a fact.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The process of Powder Coating differs greatly from painting in that the surface is chemically cleaned and dried prior to applying the 'powder.' The pieces and parts are than 'cook' under high temperature for a preset time period and than cooled. None of the toxic chemicals used to apply traditional paint is involved and the bond with the surface (steel) is much stronger.

Powder Coated products are Bird Safe.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
There are some car places that may be willing to powder coat a cage for you... they may sand blast off the old coat, then apply a new coat.

However, not all of the paints that they use are safe. Certain colors do contain lead or other undesired things in them, so if you want to get a cage re-painted, then you need to make sure that they use a good paint for the cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts