Is she testing me? Am I handling this wrong?

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
Today, Tutti has been a bit of a monster.

We had a nice morning, she then spent a few hours in her cage relaxing and then I took her out again and we shared a bowl of peas and she seemed ok. She started munching on my plants which is ok by me, then she requested a step up and I picked her up but she got agitated and nibbly/bitey on me immediately, perhaps cos I moved her away from the plants. Didnt bite too hard, but enough to get me annoyed cos I could tell she was about to go too far.
I put her on the top of her cage and ignored her for a bit. She starts making "baby/cute" noices and flies next to me on sofa, begs to sit on my hand, gets up but again gets bitey. I offer her a pen. She chews on it a long time but every so often tries to chew on me. Is she testing me? Am I wrong to tell her a stern "no?". She is still on my arm now but asleep with her head back.

I feel confused and a bit bullied :confused:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2TcH-YSHA&feature=youtu.be"]Testing, testing! - YouTube[/ame]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Could very well be tasting...errrr...TESTING you! :rolleyes: She had this "hard" toy she was chewing on,then Tutti checked out the texture of your sweat shirt.. "Gee this one is hard,and this one is soft"

Amy will nibble ( as does BB) on what I'm wearing. If she is doing something you don't approve of,just let her know,with a stern NO,and distract her with something else.

Is Tutti going to be a bilingual birdie?? ;)

Jim

OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
I gave her the pen to stop her from biting me though. To provide an alternative like I would with a puppy learning not to bite.

We live in Sweden, we speak Swedish :)
But her previous owners are an Iraqui couple so the few words she says are in arabic and I don't understand her.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I heard of an African Grey that spoke seven languages..quite impressive!
I have a hard enough time with English lol.

Jim

OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
Wow seven languages!!!

Tutti really is confusing me. She did it again, I put her down cos I feel she is being to feisty. She comes right back and climbs up my shoulder, sweetly. Then starts nibbling my neck and face again. I offer yet another pen, she doesnt want it, bites me a on the fingers, its like she knows perfectly well how hard to go before it is too much. I get annoyed and then she looks at me, bows her head and wants and takes a long head scratch.

I really feel like she is pushing all my buttons but at the same time wants to be close and buddies. Weird. So different from a dog hahaha.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Totally, different than dogs!

Hard plastic has some interests, but a soft sweatshirt that is going to attract interest.

Try soft wood toys or pieces. Interior white (yellow) finishing grade pine. Check the short-cut (end-cut) barrel at your local lumber yard or big box store. If you can mark it by pressing your finger nail into the surface it's finish grade. Structural grade will be harder.

You have quickly come to the point in which she is testing what she can get away with. Kind of like a 2.5 year old baby. They know that they are going to get told NO, but will try anyway. Yes, she is testing boundaries.

OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
I am a sucker for bollywood music, and so is Tutti it seems. She suddenly started singing along in a very humanlike way compared to all other noices she has made so far!

Aaah aaaahhh laaaaaa!!

New discoveries every day :music: :green: :music:

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am a sucker for bollywood music, and so is Tutti it seems. She suddenly started singing along in a very humanlike way compared to all other noices she has made so far!

Aaah aaaahhh laaaaaa!!

New discoveries every day :music: :green: :music:

The both of you will be on a Sweden Has Talent Show this Fall! :D

Enjoy the Adventure - Everyday!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She was playing with her toy on your arm.

She didn't stop playing when she turned her head the other way.

Amazons play with their toys by biting them.

Classic case of "you became the toy" in this instance.

OP
YoshiSwe

YoshiSwe

Apr 25, 2017
Day 5.
This bird <3! She slept for an hour on my arm and then wanted a loooooong head scratch. I started recording after a bit cos I was surprised how long she let me scratch her for. So cute :) then my kids come home and she reacts.
[ame="https://youtu.be/G-QOyzSDCws"]Cutie bird!! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts