Is teak wood safe?

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Alexandrine - Rio, Budgies - Blu and Tweety
Rio has chewed his cage perch to toothpicks. I need to replace them. What I am able to get is untreated teak wood. I tried to google if its safe but couldnt get any information. Any advice?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Hi Leena,

I'm sorry - I don't live in India so I have no clue whether teak is safe or not. Your best bet is to observe wild birds and see if they eat it. Wild birds have a way of knowing whether things are safe to eat so that might help you to decide. Otherwise, I'd suggest checking with a pet shop, vet or forestry department if you have any nearby. Even a zoo or university biology department might be able to help you if you can find the right person to ask. Good luck in your search. I'll see if I can find any info to help as well. :)

Well, I've searched in a few places and two things stand out. Firstly, teak is commonly used in chopping boards and for making salad bowls and tools for human use. Secondly, the wood contains particles of silica, which can blunt sharp tools (eg. knives) when they come in contact with it. Of course, that doesn't help in knowing whether it's safe for birds to chew. I'll keep searching... :)

Last edited:
OP
L

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Thanks Betrisher, there is a botanical garden close to my residence ill ask for help there. Meanwhile I cut off a mango tree branch and made it as uniform as I could for him to roost at night. Will surely update if I get any information. Thanks once again for your help

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Don't worry too much about making your perches uniform. Birds just love doing that job for themselves! Rio will work away at the sticking-out bits till they no longer stick out. Also, it's very good for your bird's feet to have irregular perches: the irregularities exercise his muscles and ensure good gripping strength. Perfectly round perches are to be avoided if you can manage it. Please keep us updated on Rio - Alexandrines are the best! :)

OP
L

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Thanks for the tip Betrisher. I have the branch as it is and he is having fun chewing it up. Guess will have to go branch hunting soon��. And yes I agree nothing greener and beautiful than alexandrines

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No. . Don't use teak. Even the dust is bad for people. In your area I'd look for mature guava trees.

Last edited:
OP
L

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
I visited the botanical/zoological park . Just like henpecked said , leave the teak. gauva and mango branches can be used. This place is popular among bird watchers as you get to see a lot of migratory birds . One person who has a cockteil advised me to place neem (Azadirachta indica) branches also as it prevents mites. Also aloe gel (lots around here) for sores or itchy areas. Any thoughts?

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Give the wood a good scouring and wash. Dry. Microwave maybe, probably not necessary. Birds in the wild will nibble on whatever woods are native to their area, but they have built-up resistance to native microorganisms/bacteria that indoor birds do not. I don't keep things perfectly hospital-grade sanitized/anti-septic simply because Mochi's immune system would be weaker for it. Lastly, obviously, don't let them chew wood that's been stained, polished or waxed.

Most Reactions