Is the chop still good?

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I made my second batch of chop ever after the first went over so well and lasted me so long. I tried it with a different variety of veggies based on seasonal availability, packaged them in about 3 days worth of supply, and loaded em all into the freezer to be used as needed.

This chop seems to have an issue the other didn't have. It spoils very quickly. It only lasts 2 days in the fridge before it gets this weird funky smell. I think either the jalapeno peppers I put in or else the apple cider vinegar I used to wash the veggies (& thought I'd rinsed off prior to freezing, but maybe not) is spoiling the rest of the veggies faster than normal. It also has a lot of brocoli, which I know spoils fast as well.

The general rule of thumb I have is to not serve anything I wouldn't eat -- so I don't serve this after it spoils, but should it be okay before it gets that smell? I certainly don't want to invite bacteria into my birdie's food. I'm hoping the high acidity of the peppers might also be helping to dissuade bacterial growth.

Thoughts, opinions, & recommendations on future chop endeavors would be appreciated.

(full list of veggies used this time was brocoli, cooked quinoa, cooked red lentils, carrots, jalapeno peppers, papaya, previously frozen peas, & blueberries)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
It’s the broccoli. I had that issue with my first batch of chop. I put all the rest of that stuff in mine and have never had another problem with it keeping for several days, but the batch with broccoli only lasted a day or two before it started to stink.

Edit: I haven’t used papaya either. I add in fruit later because it adds so much moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I've used all that was listed in multiple chops and broccoli in pretty much all my chops and I have never had a funny smell. Except I haven't used Apple cider vinegar, I've only used warm water to wash fruits and veg.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Ah I thought it could be the brocoli. Bummer. I don't have as many iron-rich foods I can think of to add the chop. Leafy greens don't tend to freeze well.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I use kale all the time in my chops too and they do just fine.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I too add Broccoli to all of my chops and have never once had this problem at all, and I make chop for not only my birds, but also for my Bearded Dragons, so it's a ton of chop every week, and a ton of brocolli. So I wouldn't just stop using Broccoli, especially if they like it.

Honestly, as Owlet mentioned, I would stop washing your veggies/fruit in ACV, no need to do so at all, especially if you're trying to wash it all off anyway. You only need to wash and scrub your fresh veggies and fruit in warm water, then pat them dry, that's it. Rinsing them in ACV and then rinsing it off is not serving any purpose, except to possibly cause some or all of the veggies, specifically the veggies that don't have a skin on them, LIKE THE BROCCOLI DOES NOT, to turn early due to the acidity. If you want to give your birds ACV then just add a teaspoon to their water daily.

I'd also make the suggestion that if you want your chop to last a long time, simply make a large batch of chop, and then separate it into piles the amount that you use each day, then put each day's-worth of chop into their own plastic freezer bags, and freeze them all. Then you can either take one little day's-worth bag of chop out of the freezer each night before bed and put it in the freezer to thaw so that it's ready for the morning, or you can just do what I do, which is pull a day's-worth bag out each morning at the time I want to use it, and run the bag under warm water for a minute or two, which will completely thaw it out quickly. If you do it this way your large batch of chop will last indefinitely...

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Yes, thank you for the advice I'll just use warm water from now on :) I found advice where someone soaked their veggies in dilute ACV for a few minutes & rinsed with cleaned water. I just figured it was common practice haha. I already separated out about 3 day portions from this batch. I think I'll further break them down to 1 day portions so I can get full use out of this round. It's also good to know about kale ! Kermit loves it hanging up in her cage so I'll try it out next chop round.

Another quick question: should I avoid adding jalapeno peppers to the frozen chop batch as well since they are also very acidic ?

Kermit doesn't like brocoli all too much but if I chop it fine enough, she doesn't notice it...

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I always put jalapeños in the chop. And my broccoli was frozen, which may have been the reason it went off quickly.

I always put some sort of greens in the chop-kale, collard greens, cilantro and it seems to be fine.

I use the chop as a base, and then each day I add in other things - fruit, fresh greens, fresh herbs, whatever veggie might be on sale that week. That way she gets more variety but I’m still not spending tons of time fixing her food every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions