Is there a Red Factor Timneh?

Birdee

May 21, 2018
Oregon
Parrots
Cinnamon Cheeked Conure, Timneh African Grey, Congo African Grey
A parrot shop I visited has 3 baby timneh and 2 have bright red in their tails and on their coverts on their legs and stomachs. I have found info on red factor being bred in Congos. Has anyone got information on this for Timneh? Is this a good thing? How much more red will they get? Is it healthy? Just curious...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you are interested in either of those two Timnehs make sure you get history on the male and female pair that provided that color combination. Selective breeding can increase or decrease problems depending on the history of the breeding past. The further back the information the more you will know. If the push is only for color and they are not watching the other factors this can turn into a nightmare quickly. Know the Breeder and their documentation methods. It can be anywhere from in their heads to tons of detailed notes.

Personally, I would avoid them, to many unknowns.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Since they are only babies and you may not know what the parents are like, I'm going to say "No, probably not."

Sure, it's possible, but *many* african greys show extra coloration as chicks that molts out when they are adults. In order for it to be a true mutation, it must stay with them until they are adults, and you must be able to reproduce it in future offspring.

Most Reactions