Is there really any reason to use a clicker with a parrot?

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Because birds are such vocal creatures, I have never seen the need for a clicker. When I trained Gabby, I used the word "good" as a bridge. I'm using it for Kizzy. I trained the bridge and targeting behavior in a single day. By the end of the day she was already flying short distances between perches and from a perch to my arm. Not only was she targeting, she was also trying to anticipate my next command based on past patterns. That's pretty darn good for three very short lessons.

When I trained Gabby, I was able to catch him doing something I liked (hanging upside down for example) and bridge him immediately with the word "good" instead of fumbling for a clicker. IMO, this made for faster, more effective and more intimate training. Parrots easily understand words due to their excellent hearing and ability to mimic. Why introduce something so foreign and sterile?

Considering the success I had with Gabby and the success (so far) with Kizzy, I see no reason to use a clicker. For those of you who use a clicker, what's the allure? Am I missing something? People who bridge using the word "good" have parrots who do just as well as, or even better than, those who use a clicker.

Just curious.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Think it might be six and two three's. As long as there is the treat/reward at the end. It is whatever works for you and your bird.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Ladyhawk, I did the same thing. You're not always going to have. Aclicker handy when the desired behavior is performed. So I bypassed a clicker altogether and just charged and used the word "good". My issue is that the word good Is thrown around a little to liberally for training and bridging purposes. I want to find another unique word or sound that would do the job a little bit more accurately. Someday soon I'll figure it out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, since this is so pro non-clicker, I think that I will join in with the group.

Clicker training, IMHO is for the Human more than the Parrot. A reminder for us to provide a reward, whether the reward is a treat, praise, etc...

Behavior Training, which clicker training is part, seems to be faster in getting to the wanted response! Our DYH Amazon will do most anything for a bit of peanut. That said, we all seem to be more happy when he is doing something because he likes the interaction with us as the foundation and not the treat.

I make no judgements regarding what process others wish to use. We start so deep in that dark hole that our first goal is always developing a comfort belief that no matter what, the Amazon is loved and safe. Then we can be trusted and that means that food will always be available in quality and volume and even with all the crashing trips to the CAV and medications applied, we mean no harm.

Commonly, our first indication that what we are doing is working is when the CAV releases the Amazon and they come running to us for comfort and a safe place to hide from that person!

So long way to say, we work to create a World that the Amazon wants to be part of. When I am asked what tricks our Amazon does, I without hesitation state: S/he openly Loves Us!

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I've tried clicker training before, but I have the same issue of almost never having it on me when the parrot does something good. Or not being able to manage a parrot, a treat, and a clicker all at the same time.

I use the word 'thank you'. It seems to translate well from human to parrot, since I'd only say thank you if someone did something I liked; vs the word 'good' could be used in a lot more contexts and could be confusing. Plus its adorable when you have a very polite Green Cheek that tells you thank you :)

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Ladyhawk, I did the same thing. You're not always going to have. Aclicker handy when the desired behavior is performed. So I bypassed a clicker altogether and just charged and used the word "good". My issue is that the word good Is thrown around a little to liberally for training and bridging purposes. I want to find another unique word or sound that would do the job a little bit more accurately. Someday soon I'll figure it out.

I usually say "good boy [for my dearly departed Gabby]", "good girl [for Kizzy] " or "good bird [any bird]." Also, studies show that if you don't always follow up with a reward, the behavior actually becomes more entrenched. There's a reward / no reward ratio you have to be over, but after awhile, a bird will step up every time with no reward whatsoever. It's an easy behavior, so a little bit of praise is all that's needed.

Using a bridge word is more versatile. I am more emphatic with my praise if I'm going to follow up with a reward. It usually has to do with how well the bird performed the behavior or if the bird performed a brand new behavior. A mild "good bird" for stepping up lets the bird know he or she has done well without requiring a treat.

Yet another reason why I prefer a bridge word.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Well, since this is so pro non-clicker, I think that I will join in with the group.

Clicker training, IMHO is for the Human more than the Parrot. A reminder for us to provide a reward, whether the reward is a treat, praise, etc...

Behavior Training, which clicker training is part, seems to be faster in getting to the wanted response! Our DYH Amazon will do most anything for a bit of peanut. That said, we all seem to be more happy when he is doing something because he likes the interaction with us as the foundation and not the treat.

I make no judgements regarding what process others wish to use. We start so deep in that dark hole that our first goal is always developing a comfort belief that no matter what, the Amazon is loved and safe. Then we can be trusted and that means that food will always be available in quality and volume and even with all the crashing trips to the CAV and medications applied, we mean no harm.

Commonly, our first indication that what we are doing is working is when the CAV releases the Amazon and they come running to us for comfort and a safe place to hide from that person!

So long way to say, we work to create a World that the Amazon wants to be part of. When I am asked what tricks our Amazon does, I without hesitation state: S/he openly Loves Us!

I like what Salty's dad said. He trains for the process, not for the end result. He's building a relationship with Salty. Same goes for Kizzy and me.

Kizzy was turning into a bratty little toddler. We needed a way to communicate with each other and cement our bond. It turned out chopped raw sunflower seeds are the perfect medium.

I sat and diligently chopped them into bits for a long time. When I'm gone for what she considers too long, she immediately comes looking for me and when she finds me, she either 1) boomerangs back to her old perch as if to say, "OK! Just checking!" 2) lands on my head or 3) lands in the middle of whatever I'm doing. It's cute as hell, but also a bit aggravating. When I was almost finished chopping all those seeds, she came this close to sending them away on the wind storm of her wings. XD I was trying so hard to keep her on my head. XD Yeah, that's right. I wanted her on my head rather than on the plate of mostly-chopped sunflower seeds.

Eventually, I'll try other treats to see if there's something she likes better.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
I've tried clicker training before, but I have the same issue of almost never having it on me when the parrot does something good. Or not being able to manage a parrot, a treat, and a clicker all at the same time.

I use the word 'thank you'. It seems to translate well from human to parrot, since I'd only say thank you if someone did something I liked; vs the word 'good' could be used in a lot more contexts and could be confusing. Plus its adorable when you have a very polite Green Cheek that tells you thank you :)

I like that. :) Now we must have a video of course. Do you have one? :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I eventually ditched the clicker as well, and for much the same reasons as you and some of the others have said. I'd often find myself without it while training, and replacing the sound with "Good job!" or "Well done!" So finally I just quit on the clicker altogether.

That said, I know the clicker does work for parronts who are simply more disciplined about it than I. The argument for using clickers is typically for the consistency of the sound and the clarity of what exactly that sound means. Perfect for a bridge. But I've come to feel that parrots are bright enough to get the gist from our tone alone. I don't think it necessarily needs to be that exact.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I like what Salty's dad said. He trains for the process, not for the end result. He's building a relationship with Salty. Same goes for Kizzy and me.

Kizzy was turning into a bratty little toddler. We needed a way to communicate with each other and cement our bond. It turned out chopped raw sunflower seeds are the perfect medium.

I sat and diligently chopped them into bits for a long time. When I'm gone for what she considers too long, she immediately comes looking for me and when she finds me, she either 1) boomerangs back to her old perch as if to say, "OK! Just checking!" 2) lands on my head or 3) lands in the middle of whatever I'm doing. It's cute as hell, but also a bit aggravating. When I was almost finished chopping all those seeds, she came this close to sending them away on the wind storm of her wings. XD I was trying so hard to keep her on my head. XD Yeah, that's right. I wanted her on my head rather than on the plate of mostly-chopped sunflower seeds.

Eventually, I'll try other treats to see if there's something she likes better.

There is just so much really going on that I am sometimes surprised they tie it so well together: training, communicating, interaction, learning bounders, and learning to trust unconditionally. And, let us not forget their bodies are growing rapidly!

We are commonly so busy with so much that we often forget the importants of communication! Amazons are members of mid to small social groups that rely on constant communication. That back and forth is so important to them. When well-developed, they are more comfortable with self-entertainment.

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I don't use a clicker either. I use an excited, high-pitched yes. Mostly for the same reasons already listed, but also because I only have 2 hands. Managing bird, sometimes target or trick trick-prop, and a treat already stretches my ability.

And as a cute side-effect, when Bumble finishes a trick she often gives me an excited chirp which I think is her version of YES to let me know I should give her a treat. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts