Is this a true Red Factor Sun?

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
I am looking into buying a sun conure that was advertised as a red factor. I have done a ton of reading on the topic, and many people say that redder sun are often mistaken for true RFCs and that a true SRFC will come out mostly red. Can anybody clarify beyond a reason of a doubt how to identity juveniles?

I am leaning on the side of it not being a real single red factor and just a plain sun conure with a bit more orange.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 44
  • _DSC0018[2].jpg
    _DSC0018[2].jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 43
  • _DSC0022[2].jpg
    _DSC0022[2].jpg
    17 KB · Views: 45
  • KO3ivwsQzTbN4.jpeg
    KO3ivwsQzTbN4.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 40

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
There is no way to judge it with no doubt. Unless you know the genetic history of the bird in question there's no way of knowing. Plus, isn't red factor just a sun conure that has more red on them? not an entirely new gene?

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
SRFCs are a true mutation from what I understand and carries a dominant gene.

Again, I am mostly parroting (LOL) but it is why if you breed two together two SRFC, you have a high chance of producing a double red factor which will die due to metabolic and brain defects.

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
I am not sure how that question is relevant, but no I do not; I was just trying to see if the Sun Conure I was buying was a red factor or not. Regardless of whether it is, I am going to take care of this baby and love it. My last sun conure was my childhood friend and died in her late 20s a few years ago.

Do you have intentions of helping by providing relevant info or are you just praying that I would have answered yes so you could virtue signal and act morally superior? You have no relevant information to provide me and evidently know little to nothing about the topic, so I can see no other reason you are asking me follow up questions.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ahh! Missed this here!

Welcome to the forums @LiquidJ !

While I cannot tell you if that baby is red factor or not, I think what @Owlet meant by their question, was how important is it if this baby is red factor to you.
If you aren’t trying to breed it then, if it turned out to not be a red factor, that you wouldn’t be too disappointed.

That baby sure is a cutie! I’m sorry to hear of your other suns passing but it’s wonderful that you feel ready to welcome another into your home!

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
Okay, then my apologies to you @Owlet I had assumed I was being accused of having malicious intentions. Probably shouldn't have jumped the gun, so again sorry about the rocky start.

My girl was the best friend I could have ever asked for, and she was just a normal colored sun conure, so I would never be disappointed in the breed that brought me so much love and joy.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I am not sure how that question is relevant, but no I do not; I was just trying to see if the Sun Conure I was buying was a red factor or not. Regardless of whether it is, I am going to take care of this baby and love it. My last sun conure was my childhood friend and died in her late 20s a few years ago.

Do you have intentions of helping by providing relevant info or are you just praying that I would have answered yes so you could virtue signal and act morally superior? You have no relevant information to provide me and evidently know little to nothing about the topic, so I can see no other reason you are asking me follow up questions.
Wow, way to get aggressive. I was asking because if you're not breeding then it isn't really relevant if he is red factor or not. He has the appearance of one but that's all you can really know.

I am a supporter of ethical breeding. You mentioned having knowledge of not breeding two red factors together which shows you're at least doing your research and have good intentions. It was just an innocent question.

Even if I did have intentions of "virtue signalling" and what not, that's no way of responding to someone just looking to help. A simple "no" would of sufficed since it looks like that's the answer. If it had been "yes" then I would have likely been on the bad side of things because as you have said, I don't know much about red factor conures.

Last edited:

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Here's a thread with baby suns which are all believed to be red factors, you can try comparing them? And maybe @Sybil can chime in here.

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
Wow, way to get aggressive. I was asking because if you're not breeding then it isn't really relevant if he is red factor or not. He has the appearance of one but that's all you can really know.

I am a supporter of ethical breeding. You mentioned having knowledge of not breeding two red factors together which shows you're at least doing your research and have good intentions. It was just an innocent question.

Even if I did have intentions of "virtue signalling" and what not, that's no way of responding to someone just looking to help. A simple "no" would of sufficed since it looks like that's the answer. If it had been "yes" then I would have likely been on the bad side of things because as you have said, I don't know much about red factor conures.
You're right, I did get too defensive, so I apologize.

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
Just curious if anybody has their two cents to weigh in. I'd be ecstatic if it were, but if it's not I'll still have a new lifelong buddy.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I am not an expert or breeder, but after a google search of sun conure babies and comparing your photos to both "regular" and red factor chicks, I am actually leaning toward yours being red factor. It is hard to say because of the background the breeder chose to photograph and the lighting; but I would assume if it's at the same age as this chick (4 weeks) that it should have more yellow where it is instead showing a lot of green.
2481920121_93b8a68037_c.jpg

By contrast, this is supposedly a red factor sun chick:
30bc5ae6d7ba432549d9217d22497e25_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Little fella has more of the green on the belly and neck like the chick whose photos you shared.

Hope that is helpful. Its really all conjecture at this point unless you can sit this chick side by side with a non-SRF sun.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Just curious if anybody has their two cents to weigh in. I'd be ecstatic if it were, but if it's not I'll still have a new lifelong buddy.
My two cents is that your new lifelong buddy is ADORABLE! Who cares if he's a red factor, kinda like who cares if their newborn child is going to have a certain desired eye or hair color?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My two cents is that your new lifelong buddy is ADORABLE! Who cares if he's a red factor, kinda like who cares if their newborn child is going to have a certain desired eye or hair color?

I am wondering if the breeder is asking for more for a “red factor”. I think I’d care if someone was up charging me, but otherwise I agree with you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am wondering if the breeder is asking for more for a “red factor”. I think I’d care if someone was up charging me, but otherwise I agree with you!
Can't you tell if a baby Sunnie is possibly red factor (RF) by looking at his parents and their lineage? I've read that RF is dominant trait but if a baby has a double dose of this trait (is homozygous) they die from metabolic issues before four months old. If neither parent is RF, the baby cannot be RF. If one parent is RF there's a 50/50 chance the baby with be RF and a 50/50 the chick will not be RF. If both parents are RF there's also a 50/50 chance a chick will be RF, a 25% chance of normal, but a 25% chance the chick will be double RF and die very young.
I find genetics l

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
Thanks for the updates guys. There are already respected local breeders that offer regular Suns im my State, but I found this breeder because they were advertised as red factor. Unfortunately, this one is not local, so I have to drive about 12 hours both ways because they don't offer shipping.

I felt a red factor was perfect for me, as I wanted another Sun Conure/Arintinga, but I didn't want to feel like I was replacing my Cleo with a bird that looked exactly like her; that's why I was going to get a red factor, a high yellow, a Jenday or a Nanday.

That said, I have fallen in love with how cute and adorable this baby in, so I guess it really doesn't matter. Still a bit hopeful it's a red factor, but It ultimately doesn't matter.

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
I uploaded some more shots of my future baby. Leaning on it being a regular Sun, but I'm still so super excited to meet her.

Attachments

• _DSC0148.JPG
    _DSC0148.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC0142.JPG
    _DSC0142.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC0143.JPG
    _DSC0143.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC0149.JPG
    _DSC0149.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 7E2F439AAC1E4147B3F4124D04845D0A.jpg
    7E2F439AAC1E4147B3F4124D04845D0A.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 20

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She looks like a real sweetheart!
Where (regionally) are you located? US easy, US west, Asia, Europe?
There are three Sunnie babies less than three months old available for adoption in northern California by another PF member and they are almost certainly red factor.

OP
L

LiquidJ

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek
Cockatiel
Where (regionally) are you located? US easy, US west, Asia, Europe?
There are three Sunnie babies less than three months old available for adoption in northern California by another PF member and they are almost certainly red factor.
I am currently located on the other side of the US. I live in North Carolina, so I'm quite a bit away.

Most Reactions

Latest posts