Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Zazo is a lovable bird in his own way. When on the playpen, he interacted with Mishka for a while.
However, when back on his own cage, his sits there all day, only moving to get to his food or water. He has hanging toys, which he hardly ever touches.
As shown in the photo below, this is how he sits all day.
I am not comparing him to Mishka, she is like a live-wire 24/7, yet I have never seen an AG sit like that for hours on end. I tried to play with him, stimulate him, by talking and singing to him. I had some re-action, when giving him empty toilet roll, he held it. I had to show how to tear it apart, and spit it out.
Is this normal for a bird ????

antoinette-albums-cousin-s-love-picture536-zazo-6-years-old.jpg

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Each bird is an individual. When I rehomed my grey 5 yrs ago all he did was sit on his cage door. Never, ever played with toys. Never flew even though he is fully flighted. He is now almost 14 yrs old. In the past two yrs he has started to experiment with soft toys such as yucca chews. He loves some foot toys and foraging toys. In the past 4 mos he has experimented with climbing down and walking around the floor. This has all come as a shock to us. It has taken 7 yrs!
I would let him see you play with toys and offer gentle toys at first. I think Dexter had an awakening when he watched how much fun Sammy U2 to was having. We also moved his cage into the heart of the activity and near a window.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Each bird is an individual. When I rehomed my grey 5 yrs ago all he did was sit on his cage door. Never, ever played with toys. Never flew even though he is fully flighted. He is now almost 14 yrs old. In the past two yrs he has started to experiment with soft toys such as yucca chews. He loves some foot toys and foraging toys. In the past 4 mos he has experimented with climbing down and walking around the floor. This has all come as a shock to us. It has taken 7 yrs!
I would let him see you play with toys and offer gentle toys at first. I think Dexter had an awakening when he watched how much fun Sammy U2 to was having. We also moved his cage into the heart of the activity and near a window.

Perhaps Zazo is a slow starter !!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Hopefully he will see how much fun Mishka is having as well, and start to be active. :D

Most Reactions