Normal for parrotlet to be inactive in the evening?

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
Every evening my parrotlet just sits on his perch lookin puffed up, however during the day he is all active and jumping and flying around when let him out. Is it normal for him to be like this? is he just puffed up because he feels cold?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Birds naturally settle down as the sun starts to set in the evening. It’s normal for them to puff up a little and even stand on one leg as they get sleepy. Here’s my one of my budgies exhibiting normal sleep related puffiness 🙂.
IMG_1128.jpeg

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble definitely slows down, fluffs up, and gets kind of snoozy approaching sunset. It's the only think I like about winter - she's 100% sweet until she's ready for bed (and then she gets bitey). It's nice quiet bonding time with her.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble definitely slows down, fluffs up, and gets kind of snoozy approaching sunset. It's the only think I like about winter - she's 100% sweet until she's ready for bed (and then she gets bitey). It's nice quiet bonding time with her.
IMG_4620.jpeg

Snoozy evening time

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Every evening my parrotlet just sits on his perch lookin puffed up, however during the day he is all active and jumping and flying around when let him out. Is it normal for him to be like this? is he just puffed up because he feels cold?

Yes. Birds, despite seemingly being tireless, will at times rest.

My canary rests during the day, not just the evening, and even falls asleep. The feathers are to conserve warmth as the bird is sitting still.

He is fine as long as you don't notice his sitting still at all times of the day and not eating.

Most Reactions