Is your parrot a fan of music?

What kind of music for your feathered friend?

• Total voters

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
Jacob loves absolutely any kind of music, the louder the better. Here he is dancing and going bonkers to loud music:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-fu64lRJk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-fu64lRJk[/ame]

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I turn on classical station if I'm leaving the house for a full day of work. I don't know whether they like it, but Sunny yells at me while I'm leaving, if I forget. But, if I don't turn it off within my normal time once I'm home, she also yells at me. So I don't know whether she likes it or not.

She seems to like anything I play on the fiddle, as long as I don't hit any wrong notes, or move my shoulder too much if she's standing on it. When I finish a tune she will yell, once, in my right ear. She doesn't care if my tempo is off, but definitely feels the need to tell me about it when I hit a wrong note.

She doesn't seem to have any opinion about any other music.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My budgies also like fiddle music. Recorded is okay, but their preference is definitely that I play for them.

My original reason for purchasing a bird, I needed someone to ignore me while I practice. So I brought home two tiny budgiess. I named them after fiddle tunes, and they have steadfastly refuse to ignore my playing. (Well, every now and then Calliope tries to ignore me, but Jefferson won't allow it.) Almost all of the time when I play, they sit side-by-side, upright but relaxed, watching me. Looking for all the world like a tiny little audience. (If I attempt to play in another room, out of their sight, they get very upset.)

They might or might not sing along when I play.

I do play their tunes for them whenever I take out my fiddle. You would think I would have "Jefferson Reel" properly memorized by now, since it's one of my favorites, but I don't. So either I have to get out my book, or else I play it less-well. Therefore -- and this is true, I am not making this up -- Jefferson is convinced that " Jefferson Reel" is CALLIOPE's tune. And, he clearly believes that "Calliope House," "Lord of the Dance," and "Mason's Apron" are HiS tunes.

Last edited:
OP
KawaiiTori

KawaiiTori

Aug 3, 2019
Media
Poulsbo, Washington, USA
Parrots
Tori - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Jacob loves absolutely any kind of music, the louder the better. Here he is dancing and going bonkers to loud music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-fu64lRJk

I absolutely love how birds have no problem keeping a beat but put three random people together and ask them to clap their hands to the beat and at least one of them will have a problem LOL!

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Lol Parrots hate country.

Pretty much anything goes with my birbs, as long as Im singing to it. They love anything sung with love.

Singing along to music was one of the bet ways to entertain them and bond with them, when I first brought them home.

IMO birds show their love and comfort to you while you are singing to them, more than a dog or cat will. The looks they give you and the little behaviors they do, are so sweet, they just melt my heart.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
My budgies also like fiddle music. Recorded is okay, but their preference is definitely that I play for them.

My original reason for purchasing a bird, I needed someone to ignore me while I practice. So I brought home two tiny budgiess. I named them after fiddle tunes, and they have steadfastly refuse to ignore my playing. (Well, every now and then Calliope tries to ignore me, but Jefferson won't allow it.) Almost all of the time when I play, they sit side-by-side, upright but relaxed, watching me. Looking for all the world like a tiny little audience. (If I attempt to play in another room, out of their sight, they get very upset.)

They might or might not sing along when I play.

I do play their tunes for them whenever I take out my fiddle. You would think I would have "Jefferson Reel" properly memorized by now, since it's one of my favorites, but I don't. So either I have to get out my book, or else I play it less-well. Therefore -- and this is true, I am not making this up -- Jefferson is convinced that " Jefferson Reel" is CALLIOPE's tune. And, he clearly believes that "Calliope House," "Lord of the Dance," and "Mason's Apron" are HiS tunes.

Yes! My babies do this too. They dont dance like the bigger parrots. But they give you feedback like they love it with eye contact and making comfortable body language. :whiteblue::blue2:

Gemster

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
Itā€™s an obvious classical for Gemma as she LOVES whistling. Valentine likes any kind of music but sky hates everything. Itā€™s a bit complicated, they live together but they are the exact opposite to each other. Valentine is mental and loves to fly, sky is calm and prefers to walk and hop than fly.
Eddie loved pop music, he would dance, scream and talk when played.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Most Reactions