It Official, She LOVES it!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I got Zilla a Featherbright light yesterday!

Even though the lady said it hadn't been used and it was still in the box, I brought it home and sanitized it as best I could with a mild bleach & water solution, rinsed well and let dry over night.

When the sun was coming up this morning I put it on her cage (gonna have to find a better way to secure it with the dome top cage we have) I would have gotten the hanging one if I had bought it new, but I paid less than half price on CL. Maybe I can find a way to hang it anyways?

She immediately ran over to be under it! Looked at it, made some happy birdie sounds and sat preening and chattering under it for a long time.

How long do I need to have it on for her? I was thinking a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening? Is that enough?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Awesome! I love taking mine out for real sunshine when it gets warm enough but I really should look into these for these long winter months when I can't get them outside.

I am glad Zilla seemed to like it. You are such a good mommy!:)

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Zilla is such a well loved little girl!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That is so awesome, Amanda!! Yes, a couple of hours in the morning, then again in the evening should suffice.

Isn't it amazing how a 'little' light can make them 'blossom' even more? :D

All of mine are under lights, and I find particularly on gloomy days, it REALLY helps with their overall attitude. Like Laura, I take mine out weather permitting - but right now it's 15 degrees, so there is no way.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I bet she's going to L-O-V-E having that lamp! So glad you found one! I let Kiwi have about 2-3 hours maybe 5 days a week under his. Not every day and not all day, but a decent amount of time. He runs right up to hang out under it too. His seems to do fine on his dome top. I had to use a pliers to "open" the little loops on the bottom of the legs up so it slid easier over the bars but it sits on there fine now. I also bought some vinyl tubing at home depot, cut it down the center, wrapped it around the cord/cord holder and taped it shut. Just in case a curious nibbler decided to bother it, I'd rather prevent him getting toasted before I could stop him;) Just a tip.

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Guess I'll have to get one.
Just curious if there truly is a risk of burning their retinas? I don't think Mango would stare at it, but, he has surprised me before with strange behavior!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Guess I'll have to get one.
Just curious if there truly is a risk of burning their retinas? I don't think Mango would stare at it, but, he has surprised me before with strange behavior!

I researched quite extensively before getting one for Kiwi, and yes, there is a risk. However, it is not common and (no offense to anyone) you probably don't have the brightest bird if it stares directly into a light fixture:54: I mean, the sun can burn their retinas too and I imagine some would stare directly into the sun until it blinded them, but those ones would kind of, uh, be weeded out by natural selection out in nature:20: I suppose there are birds in captivity who have bypassed natural selection by default though, but I doubt Mango is one of those birds. So long as Mango is a reasonably smart bird, I wouldn't foresee an issue. Perhaps keep an eye on him for the first few time you use the lamp, but I wouldn't let that risk be the only reason you don't.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
She likes it even more than I thought!

I turned it off since it had been on almost 3 hours and she called me every name in the "Amazon Cuss out your Human book"!!!:eek:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

I turned it off since it had been on almost 3 hours and she called me every name in the "Amazon Cuss out your Human book"!!!:eek:

Bwahahaha! I imagine lots of "eeeeerrrrrr" and "weeeeeet" type noises then (can I post those 'dirty words' on the forum even;)).

I bet you a billion bucks given Zilla's background and spending her life in OR (not exactly the sunshine state up here), she's craving the sunshine on her feathers.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

That's worth getting on video...

Maybe your bird can become a "spokes-birdie" for the product.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
She even pretended to bite me! So glad she is bite pressure trained!

Now she is being especially "nesty" in the bottom of her cage and doing that "whiny" sound really loud!

Maybe I should turn her light back on and just let her have it on all day for a day or two, then start only having it on a few hours a day. Or maybe not turn it on in the morning, wait and turn it on a few hours before bedtime so I don't have to take it away from her in the middle of the day.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I wouldn't do it before bedtime! That will only wake her up lol. I think after a couple days having it come on in the morning and off after a few hours, she'll get used to the routine:)

lmh

Dec 31, 2014
Nebraska
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon named Oscar.
Congo African Grey named Turbo...RIP
Ohh that is cool! I just read up on it! I happen to have a hook already in the ceiling right above Oscars cage - I have a swag lamp already also...just need to order the light bulb.
I was just talking about needing some kind of lighting near his cage because its kinda dark. This is much better then getting just regular lighting!! :)
I have a large 2nd cage for him, for outside, when the weather gets better - but for now, this will be PERFECT!
Does anyone have the 'moonlight' bulb? Wonder how that would be??
Lora

Most Reactions

Latest posts