itchy nose?

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
So my macaw has sneezed a few times a day no discharge and scratches his nostril. anything to be concerned about? He doesnt necessarily scratch his nostril after or before sneezing sometimes whenever. is it just dry and irritated or?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Try to humidify the air in your birds environment. Also if not already done bath with a steamy shower. If this does not solve the problem he may need a vet to look at him.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Birds sneeze with weather change, moults, irritation if the air is too dry, dust, humidity, illness.....

Lots of different reasons! If it is too dry, I hear humidifiers are great. (I'm in Britain, it's never too dry!) If it's a moult, it's quite normal (as is "picking the nose" lol). If it doesn't clear up or goes on for a long period of time then obviously it's time for an AV.

If your bird is moulting, giving him a bath or a spray with warm water will help.

Additionally, there can be other causes such as a certain perfume/aftershave, washing powder.....

I found Cal was sneezing when she first went into the lounge when the other pets had been in there so I vaccum a lot every day. My hoover is a pet specific one that gets up all the doggy, rabbit and cat hairs too which is useful, but also it is a hepa filter which helps with human allergies to dust.

Many things to whittle down but most commonly it is a simple solution. The fact there is no discharge or obvious discomfort indicates to me it's one of the pesky small things!!! Enjoy your quest! :D

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Every once in a while, Ruby will scratch her nostril. I tease her and tell her tos top picking her nose...

I asked our breeder about it and she said that if it's just occassional and there isn't any discharge, she should be fine.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Every once in a while, Ruby will scratch her nostril. I tease her and tell her tos top picking her nose...
I say the same thing to Nicky! haha

There is nothing to worry about. It is just a normal birdy thing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts