It's the simple things

Lacey

Oct 24, 2011
South Dakota
Parrots
Reno~Umbrella Cockatoo
I have been working tirelessly with Reno for a long time trying to get him to eat fresh fruits and veggies. It felt like it would never happen, but for my angels sake, I kept trying. Yesterday, I offered Reno a uncooked baby carrot and HE TOOK IT!!!! I was in shock and started tearing up. Of course my family who was over for Thankgiving couldn't resist making fun of me, but I was so overwhelmed with joy! To top it off, after he finished his carrot he proceeded to make me even more proud by devouring some brocolli as well:D. I guess most people (non parrot people) found my reaction ridiculous, but I can't expect others to know what an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment feels like when it comes to parrots. It is a one of a kind feeling to have a sincere bond with them. Reno would occasionally eat off my plate when I was eating supper, BUT tonight he had his own plate and was chowing down! I am one proud momma!!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Aww, I know how you feel, I finally got Billie eating his veggies about 2 weeks ago. He would dive bomb my boyfriend for a cheese stick but avoided any kind of vegetable like it was the plague! After weeks and weeks of eating veggies in front of him and making it seem like it was ridiculously fun, he finally just started eating them one day. It was the weirdest thing, he went from not eating any veggie, to devouring pretty much whatever I put in his veggie dish. He did the same thing with pellets. For the longest time, he would just dump the bowl out, then one day I noticed his poop was red, I got sooo ecstatic because I knew that meant he was eating the red pellets, everyone thought I was crazy that I was excited about poop lol. What can I say? Us bird folk....we're definitely a special breed. ;)

OP
Lacey

Lacey

Oct 24, 2011
South Dakota
Parrots
Reno~Umbrella Cockatoo
I can completely side with you on that! I do the exact same things! But I guess I'd rather have my life feel meaningful( which is how Reno make it feel) then one of these people who will never know what a true bond and love is! That's one that could never be replaced by anything else in my opinion:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts