I've never considered owning what I consider one of the 'larger' parrot species...

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
As a permanent pet..

I've only fostered and the largest bird I've interacted with is a Hans Macaw...

Lately though I've been really interested in CAGs and TAGs...

And am considering adopting one in the near future. Can anyone give me insight into life with one of these amazing birds?

I wouldn't want a young one, but have been pondering adopting one from my local bird rescue.

Any tis and help would be.. well amazing.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
:32:With my CAG - what comes after stubborn?! :32: That's probably a predominant trait with these guys!

He's fully cognitive. Part bat. Talks conversationally. He absolutely gets handled on his own terms. Only bird I have that's like that. Dances and sings.

He has to be in the mood for scratchies, or he just pushes your finger away with his beak. (Ignore that one, and the next one is a hard pinch. He'll tell you "Owww! that hurts!" before you do it. That's a warning. Try it again and he'll make you say it too.

HATES BATHS! Only bird I've got that hates water.

Take him outside his comfort zone, and he gets nervous. Starts acting skittish and spooked.

Inside his comfort zone he is confident enough to mess with you. He plays practical jokes.

He studies everything and everybody before interacting with you.

Raised right, they are far more active than I knew.

The ones I dealt with down at the rescue were generally raised wrong, and were neurotic and pluckers. (Those are largely created based on Tusk's behavior. He's more inclined to pluck you than himself!)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tags tend to be easier to deal with.

Same basic tendencies as CAGS only in a smaller package, and without the red tail feathers...

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Sadly I don't want to commit to a baby or younger bird.. I'm young but the age these birds can get too, I'd prefer a 20 year old or so that I could give a forever home.

Charlie the Hans I fostered was a plucker and cuddly isn't a nessessity when it comes to any birds in my home.

So Tag or Cag I'm not that bothered though the smaller size of the TAG is a factor I like. I'm somewhat nervous around birds any larger than African Greys; I don't think I have the gumption to get near a beak the size of the larger Macaws...

lols.

I'd rather give a plucker or a bird that needs a proper home a chance as well ^^.

I'm patient.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I works with CAGs and I own a TAG. The Tag wins hands down with being the stabler of the two. Spirit came form a vary abusive back ground. (he had even had the hook part of his beck sawed off and it never recovered) He is a great pet with little issues. He is his own bird and knows what he wants and does not want. If I had the chose again I would take on a TAG in a heart beat.

OP
jugoya

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
I like to do my research first..

Currently I don't have the space; but we are in the process of saving for a new home.
Requirement is 3 rooms so I can have a room that I can rip the carpet out of.. install a drain and set up a bird room.

That or as glass screen rooms are a norm here... one I can set up as an 'aviary' and keep the bird's cages in there. If I don't have a room I could set up for a grey... I don't want to get one yet.

Thats why I only have smaller birds; because space being what it is in an apartment.. well you get the idea ^^

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually, I think I'd rather be bit by a big mac than a cag.

Most Big Macs only give you a hard pinch and a bruise. A CAG has a beak like a scissors!

Most Reactions

Latest posts