Jasper keeps catching his toe on things

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Oh, no! Sorry, Katie! But at least the frequency is far diminished.

Are the calcium doses currently prescribed on an as needed basis?

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I'm giving it to him on an as-needed basis. I had help calculating the correct dosage based on the oral doses from the vet when he was prescribed Calcium Carbonate before (I now give CalciBoost).

I called the vet's office in Ottawa today. I will be emailing them the dosage info and am supposed to get a call scheduled with the vet.

Originally he was supposed to be on tums tablets for many weeks (I think it was 8? I forget now) but he wouldn't eat them. At that time he had to go to the vet's for boarding when I was away and they didn't give him any calcium when he was there. No incident of wf/tt so I stopped altogether on my side.

He clearly needs some more help with this. The ClayCal on his food twice a day isn't enough. So if he has to go back on CalciBoost twice a day for 8 weeks or however long then that's fine. Just need a vet to help me figure this out --- and one that understands calcium problems. I figure the vet who figured it out is the best for me to ask! So I'll pay for a phone consult and hopefully get some good advice.

Sorry to veer this thread off-topic.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Odd indeed Katie :confused: BB's Uncle Joe has some medical issues,and at times he has gone to see his doc,or even to hospital,because (after tests have been done) they find he is low on potassium.
His diet never changes dramatically...takes his meds when is suppose to..doesn't drink etc etc So why does his level get so weirded out? Just like Jasp...fine diet gets his meds and still has low calcium.

Very :confused: :confused: :confused: to me...on both accounts.

Jim

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Well Jasper still won't eat his greens. So he's only getting calcium from 2 almonds a day and a small piece of walnut. I make up a mash for him that he LOVES (either steamed carrots, sweet potato, squash) and mix in finely chopped kale but I don't know how much of the kale he's actually eating.

Also his pellets don't have any calcium.

So discouraging :(

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
You can get edible calcium perches and try cheese and yoghurt if you already havent to get some calcium into your lil one. Butter milk is good too x

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
I thought I had read somewhere once that Ekkies couldn't have cuttlebone? If they can it would certainly be an easy thing to give him.

Also I stumbled across this, not sure if it would be good. It mentions Ekkies specifically

Healthy Organic Soak & Serve Mix for Pet Birds & Parrots ~ Sprouting Seeds, Kits, Supplies, Blends, Things for Wings ~ Avian Organics

And the cuttlebone description says it's good for calcium

http://www.thingsforwings.ca/Cuttlebone_p_2125.html

If both of these are safe I will certainly order them!

Edit: This article says their vet suggested shaving cuttlebone over the food. Not guaranteed he'll eat it though but it's an idea

http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/ef8mar1.htm

Last edited:

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
The sprout mix food is safe and healthy so really worth a try and the cuttle bone was created for a calcium boost and keeping beaks short and healthy so you could just sprinkle it into his food. Its a good idea. Try some yoghurt, different flavours, a small spoon full will really boost him, plus its really healthy. Sounds silly but even a little plain vanilla ice cream would help also. Another idea is pure fruit juice. Xander loves most flavours especially apple and pear. Even blend veggies into juice or blend them into fruit juice. All sorts you can try really.

Will he drink milk? Maybe just a little would really help. Just check its safe though for him. Sometimes i mash fruit or veg into Xanders pellets, its how i converted him from seeds and even fruit juice. Its usually not the food but the way its prepared. They are so funny with eating. You will find a method to get the calcium into him, just gotta try everything even if it seems wierd. Keep us updated x

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Very helpful, thank you! I've ordered the cuttlebone, the soak and serve mix, and also going on another suggestion of switching pellets again to ones with calcium, d3 and calcium carbonate in them.

I've never tried yogurt with him, does it matter what kind?

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Not really, as long its fruity. Try a sweet one and a sour one see what he likes. I have even heard of people using baby food in the little jars to get the goodness into fussy eating Parrots as its full of calcium and vitamins.

Mine is just funny. He will eat corn on a cob but if I take the corn off and its just in his bowl he doesn't touch it. I guess its not fun that way x

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Cuttlebone should be just fine, Katie. And that soak and serve mix looks promising. Milk is no good for parrots, though. They are quite lactose intolerant.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Mine is just funny. He will eat corn on a cob but if I take the corn off and its just in his bowl he doesn't touch it. I guess its not fun that way x

Hilarious! Jasper will only eat his sweet potato if I cook it and mash it up. If it's raw, cut into small pieces, he won't even look at it. I feel like I need to take one food, prepare it 10 different ways and see what works. LOL

Cuttlebone should be just fine, Katie. And that soak and serve mix looks promising. Milk is no good for parrots, though. They are quite lactose intolerant.

Ok thank you! I'm not sure how to attach the cuttlebone to his cage when it arrives. All the holders for them look like they're suitable for budgies :confused:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I'd say just use a plastic strap tie. Or you could sprinkle shavings over his food.

Most Reactions