Jasper's Flight Harness Training (Video)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Good instructional video. I'd have liked it even more if he'd stopped after the second or third time. His poor bird was too through by the end!

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Yeah his bird was definitely over it.

So I tried with Jasper again last night, now that I could see how to tighten it properly. Unfortunately we had a little incident that I'm still feeling bad about. Just when I got the harness on he started walking away trying to pull it off. I moved my hand over to go to take his first wing out and he stepped up onto my hand instead.

Within a couple seconds he had gotten himself so tangled...crawled up my arm, shoulder, back, freaking out. He bit down on my finger pretty hard when I tried to get him to step up so I could move him back to the table. What a mess.

I think we've just regressed huge. :(

Maybe I should stop while he finishes his molt...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ekkie feather types do make the whole harness thing a little tougher in general, so maybe it does make sense to wait a bit. At least until the worst of the molt is over with.

Most Reactions

Latest posts