How do you train a conure to accept a flight suit?

TheOMan

Sep 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
I am adopting a flighted green cheeked conure that I plan to allowindoor flight. Wondering how I'd go about training him towear a flight suit to minimise the amount of poop around thehouse? Any ideas

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a diaper. Managing the bird poop really isn't as bad as you might think it will be. Conures are very social and don't usually just fly around the house everywhere - they generally want to be wherever you are. Here is what I do: I have a bunch of cloth napkins I keep around areas we hang out. Simply wipe up the poops. And have some Poop Off handy for messes that stain. With just one Conure I promise it really isn't worth training to wear a diaper. Getting your bird to accept wearing one will take a lot of time and work.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a diaper. Managing the bird poop really isn't as bad as you might think it will be. Conures are very social and don't usually just fly around the house everywhere - they generally want to be wherever you are. Here is what I do: I have a bunch of cloth napkins I keep around areas we hang out. Simply wipe up the poops. And have some Poop Off handy for messes that stain. With just one Conure I promise it really isn't worth training to wear a diaper. Getting your bird to accept wearing one will take a lot of time and work.
HandiWipes are amazing. They are reusable after rinsing and dry quickly. I even run mine through the laundry and they last much longer than the package says.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THink getting poops off a shirt is hard? Try getting it off , when its all smooshed into the feathers when the diaper gets full. plus it takes a lot of training and work with your parrot to get his accept the darn thing and not spend every second trying to bite it off. You dont just pop a parrot into a flight suit or flight harness, like you would put a multi=point harness on a dog, it takes a long time ususaly.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
THink getting poops off a shirt is hard? Try getting it off , when its all smooshed into the feathers when the diaper gets full. plus it takes a lot of training and work with your parrot to get his accept the darn thing and not spend every second trying to bite it off. You dont just pop a parrot into a flight suit or flight harness, like you would put a multi=point harness on a dog, it takes a long time ususaly.
Ewww! What self respecting parrot would want to wear a diaper and carry his poops around with him for
God knows how long, soiling his precious clean feathers! Seriously. Birds are very clean animals. Diapers are for baby humans, not parrots!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sometimes one of my cockatiels end's up with a messy bottom.
It's not easy to clean off and the bird doesn't enjoy the process very much.

I can't imagen how much worse it would be after wearing a flight suit for a couple of hours. I am guessing a conure would be pooping about every 20 minutes or so.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I am adopting a flighted green cheeked conure that I plan to allowindoor flight. Wondering how I'd go about training him towear a flight suit to minimise the amount of poop around thehouse? Any ideas
I have 2 green cheeked conures and allow both to fly around the living room.
I attached what I understand everyone calls brings to the dropped ceiling grid and placed throw rugs under to make clean up easier (washing machine) but as someone already stated ...both my birds favorite perch outside of their cage is my shoulder
20230911_112617.jpg

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I have 2 green cheeked conures and allow both to fly around the living room.
I attached what I understand everyone calls brings to the dropped ceiling grid and placed throw rugs under to make clean up easier (washing machine) but as someone already stated ...both my birds favorite perch outside of their cage is my shoulder View attachment 54179
CORRECTION .....
BRINGS.... BOINGS

G

Guest46745

No offence, but I think you are getting ahead of yourself. You're adopting a bird... why, what was wrong with their first home? Did they bond with the first owner(s)? Is the bird a handful? I would focus on getting the bird to like you and your home first, which could take a while. A long while depending on the answers to my questions.
Once the bird trusts you, then you could think about a flight suit (which takes a very high level of trust). Even then, as can see from the replies so far, birds don't like clothes and they lead to cleanliness problems. From my experience, a flight suit should be called "fight suit," because birds will fight you to not wear them, and once on they will be trying to remove them non-stop. If you own a bird, you deal with poop. I personally use red rosin paper where mine hang out and just throw it away each week. A 100 foot roll is like 10 bucks. On hard surfaces and cages, a spray bottle with white vinegar and water works wonders and is safe around birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts