Jendy Conure Died Suddenly, WHY??

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
Wow that is good to know! I have Zupreem Classic blend I bought just a couple months ago... It's not on the recall list but I found out it expired at the beginning of the year! I'm never trusting that store again. Thankfully Prim has only eaten a tiny bit of it...

OP
C

ChickChick

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo, 2 Grey Cockatiels
Omg! That store sold you expired food! Yea, I agree, that store wouldn't have my business either

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I had fed my conures the same food. When I contacted Zupreem, they informed me that the only effects seen so far was that it could cause diarrhea.

My dusky did have diarrhea from it. Zupreem sent me some forms to fill out, and have also refunded me the amount I'd spent on the food.

It is still possible that the food wasn't the cause of their deaths, since the only potential problems documented so far from feeding them this food was diarrhea. Apparently the blend contains higher levels of calcium than normal.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I used to feed my conure Zuperem Fruitblend, but only because that's what he came to me eating. His poop was all sorts of funky colors and there was rarely ever *any* form to it.

I switched him to Zupreem Natural, and the funky colors stopped, plus his droppings had forms *most* of the time.

I've since switched him to Roudybush and now Harrison's, and his droppings appear quite normal and much better than they ever did on Zupreem. I've heard of some other owners commenting that their birds fed Zupreem Fruitblend had unformed colorful droppings. Also heard of adult macaws eating the same thing and their droppings are not colorful, and that concerned me even more. I mean, if the dyes aren't going through the system, is it being broken down in the birds body? Or is it possibly being stored in the body?

I've heard that NJ has been flooded and there are sharks swimming the streets. Don't know if you are in the area that's effected, so am unsure whether or not the vets place is open yet? Please keep us informed! And I hope all is well! (that can be)

OP
C

ChickChick

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Parrots
We were one of the VERY LUCKY FEW! I have no idea how we escaped severe damage, but we did. No power loss, no flooding, nothing. And we are about 25 miles from the shore. Forget jersey shore, there's nothing left of it up or down the coast. My husband hasn't been to work because his job is in toms river. All flooded and no power. That's only 13 miles from my house! We were blessed! But the vet was open today and I got nico down there asap! It was hard...really hard. But they think even tho its been 4 days, they should be able to collect samples to send off. I was told that I may hear from them by fri. I'm on the edge of my seat! I'm really heart broken. But when I hear back, I'll let u guys know

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Glad that you and your family are safe! And I hope the vet is able to find out the cause of death!

OP
C

ChickChick

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Parrots
OK GUYS...the results are in. I guess the vet wasnt too busy and found time to conduct it today.

*long sigh*....we were all wrong...Im very sorry to say. First, Pedro, he was in top knotch health the vet said. He came in at 120 grams/oz...however it is they measure weight. His organs were in great shape, no signs of heart or kidney problems. Heres where it caught me off guard... he died of a massive head trauma.
Yes, I couldnt believe it either! The vet said he had signifigant bruising on the back of his head and skull. No skull or any bone fracture, just a major bruise, thats what killed him
I was speachless, because, how the hell did that happen?!?!?!!! The only thing I can possibly think of is this past Thur night, I was taking a bath and I heard something very loud, bang in the birds room. Then I head Nico do a muffled "Come-ere" They were already covered, so I called to my husband to check on them, and nothing seemed to be an issue. So, we kind of assume that he had such a night fright, he injured himself, causing the wound. He never acted any different from then, so I never thought twice.
Im so stunned by this development that Im literally nausiated. Im so upset that something like this can happen, and I dont know how I could have prevented it or prevent it in the future! Im really baffled on how he could have done this other than that bang I heard on Thur night. Its such a freak accident....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I'm so sorry to hear of the results! Yes, a freak accident, and I highly doubt it was anything you could have prevented. poor guy!

*hugs* to you!

OP
C

ChickChick

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Thank you Monica, I need all I can get right now. I feel like Im in a fog, and sitting here on the computer I swear I can still feel him and hear him. Like, he died so suddenly that he doesnt know hes gone, its like hes still here! I know that sounds weird. I think I gotta take a Valium tonight to help me sleep. This was just not something I was expecting to hear....I feel absolutely terrible that I couldnt help him

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Thats so very sad, but I am glad you are able to have closure. It was not your fault and there was probably nothing you could have done to prevent it. :( Its just one of those very sad tragedies. May he rest in peace.

OP
C

ChickChick

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Thank you kc. I think between the chaos of the hurricane, setting up halloween just to have it postponed till Monday, then hearing this, I was in focus/shock survival mode until now. I finally got a chance to sit down and take this in, and I totally broke down and fell to my knees in front of his cage and sobbed, I mean, my whole body sobbed for the last half hr. I came across a video of him with a bell on his head. Oh god, I lost it even more! I can't even type this without a constant stream of tears. I raised him since he was 4 wks old. He thought I was his mom and I let him down. I'm so sorry nico, I couldn't protect you or help you! I do thank all of you for helping me through this. It means more than you know

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
OMG, I'm SO sorry. That's horrible news. At least you now know what had happened to your baby. Perhaps this news will somehow help you come to peace with his loss in time. There wasn't anything you could have done differently to make this tragic outcome end differently.

My thoughts are with you. Hugs.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
My heart breaks for you :'( I can't even imagine your pain. *Big hugs* Just know that you didn't let him down, you gave him a good life with lots of love. This was not your fault <3

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
ChickChick, I am so very sorry for this. Your recent post really tugged on my heart. I wish you so much strength and I pray for your strength to recover from the pain quickly but never forget Nico as he was the one who brought so much joy into your life. Accidents happen and there was nothing you could have done. Forgive yourself because there's nothing you could have done.

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
is there a photo of his cage? i wonder if he just had a nasty fall.. i wonder if toweling the floor could prevent this in the future? itd be a pain to constantly clean or switch out.. but just a thought.
im very happy its not a bacteria or disease... that would be really bad for your other birds!
also, i wonder if short night cages would prevent something like this..
maybe everybody can start putting a towel or blanket on the bottom of the cage just at night...
was his cage tall??

OP
C

ChickChick

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Hi conurelady, on page 1 I posted some pics of him and their room. His cage was the black cage. It was a short cage so he didn't fall far. I think he flew back and hit his head on the topbof the cage or somehow banged into the water or food dish. Who knows...:-(

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
-hugs to you!-

My heart is breaking for you and your loss... There is doubtless nothing you could have done and certainly no way to foresee such an event... Many of our birds have scares now and then but come through just fine. It was just plain bad luck. Please don't blame yourself and try to remember that he had a very good life. Hope you can heal soon. </3

Most Reactions

Latest posts