Jewel has made soooo much progress already!

VICTORYCC124

May 13, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus 3yo (Jewel), Green Cheek Conure 3yo (Charlie), Congo African Grey 5yo (Baby Girl), White Capped Pionus 1yo (Leo), Blue Fronted Amazon 4yo (Zora)
Hi all! So I wasn't really sure what was to be expected of a 1 year old bird who did not have a previous owner (I didn't know what to expect from a bird PERIOD) but I feel like she has made leaps and bounds in the 2 days she has been here! It's a struggle to get her out of her cage, as I was warned of prior to her arrival, but once she decides she wants to come out she is just amazing. Her wings are very (over?) clipped, so she can't get more than 4 inches off the floor, and she jumps out of her cage. I don't like that, and I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself but I can't get her to step up to get out of her cage. So we will be letting her wings grow out, at the very least so she can glide out- in not completely.
Her first day, she let everyone pet her (even the 2 year old) without any qualms. Don't get me wrong, she is shy, but seems to be willing to trust. Her first day she was also taking treats from my 8 years old two fingers. I was able to get her to step up on a stick to transfer her back to her cage. She decided that Rider the dog (who is huge) makes her nervous, so she yells at him a bit (I'm assuming that's what she's doing) to let us know. But he's not even allowed in the house when she out of her cage, which suits him fine because he prefers being outside all day anyway- so it all works out.
Day 2, (once out of her cage) she was willing to step up on my arm. She also allowed Wyatt (8 yrs old) to pick her up, without actually biting him. She didn't necessarily like it, and she was trying to scare him off by acting like she would bite, but no bite. But then she ended up back on the floor (better than the kitchen table), so I sat down next to her. She then came over to me and climbed on me where she sat for about a half hour until I had to move. So she went over and sat on Wyatt's lap for about a half hour. When I returned she came back to sit on me. She spent about 9 hours out of her cage today, which should be a typical day for her here. More on the days that I don't have to leave the house.
I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY WITH HER!! She is so sweet, and lovey. I know that every bird is different, but is this typical?? Again, I am just ecstatic with her!! But I'm wondering if this can be expected typically?? :)
(Sorry, if I missed words, I do that when I type fast.)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts