Judge Judy

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I just watched a judge Judy episode where someone's blue crowned amazon bit someone in the face and the owner had to pay 1,700.00 in damages. YIKES! It's a good thing I have understanding friends and family haha

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
ROFL!!....oh my $1700??...ouch!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, well the finger amputation was probably about $100,000...

The two facial reconstruction cases would have easily been that much had it not been the owner's own birds that bit them...

So this is fortunate for the conure.

Bird (dog, cat, etc) bites would be covered under most homeowner's policies...

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Well what was the person doing having their face so close to the Amazon then? If it's not your own bird, why would you EVER put your face up to it...

That's silly! But at least they didn't have to get it put down.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I would **never**!! put my face near a bird I don't know...I don't go around kissing strangers pfffft!! Lol. But the amazon's owner shouldn't have let them put their face so close; at least given them a warning...

I've had to smack people's hands away from Jackie several times (as he's locked inside his cage with me standing right there) and I tell them "HE BITES!!". Every. single. time. the person didn't ask permission or didn't ask if he bites. They just try to put their finger in the cage (as he's pinning his eyes and has his beak wide open ready for action) People just see a pretty bird and think that it's ok to get up close and personal with a bird they don't even know. Would you walk up to a large dog you don't know? Probably not. Lol

Part of being a responsible parront is to tell inexperienced bird people what might happen, what to do, what not to do if youre going to let someone else handle your bird. Or don't put your bird in the position for a situation like that to happen.

Last edited:

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
Was this the one where the parrot owner had blue hair?

I saw this when it originally aired and if I remember correctly She did not put her face in close proximity to the bird, the parrot crossed the room to attack the woman.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Exactly getwozzy!

Megapixel, i suppose if it someone the bird didn't know, the owner should not have let the bird 'free to roam' in the same room as their guest. But then, animals do have a tendency to suddenly snap at people they know, for reasons we can't see. If a bird flies at you - cover your face! Whenever I've had a strange bird fky at me I've covered my face and stretched my arm out so it has a place to land other than my head.

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Was this the one where the parrot owner had blue hair?

I saw this when it originally aired and if I remember correctly She did not put her face in close proximity to the bird, the parrot crossed the room to attack the woman.

Yup exactly, blue hair and lots of facial piercings. Well, the deal was the parrot owner opened her home to this girl who was staying there rent-free. The parrot was flighted and free to roam and flew over and attacked the girl. The owner said the girl would antagonize the bird on occaision. I just thought it was tacky for this girl to sue someone who took her in a gave her a roof over her head for free. A very low-class thing to do.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I used to have a T-shirt that I had made, printed on both sides, it said, "RESPECT THE BEAK". I wore it when I brought birds out in public. People would still reach out to pet the birds on my shoulder! I reminded them that it meant that they'll bite.

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
I used to have a T-shirt that I had made, printed on both sides, it said, "RESPECT THE BEAK". I wore it when I brought birds out in public. People would still reach out to pet the birds on my shoulder! I reminded them that it meant that they'll bite.

They always think (whoever it is) that they are somehow the exception. My aunt was over the other day, he was hanging out on his playstand, she went over after I told her (again) that he bites, and of course she got nailed (again). It never ends :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Yes, but how understanding would they be after getting bitten in the face. Also didn't they require plastic surgery after the bite. This should make everyone think twice about handing off their bird to anyone.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I had an epiphany one day.

I was sticking my fingers through the cage to try and get the Beaks to let me pat them. When they chomped on me, my daughter said (and I'll never forget this):

'What do you expect them to do when you poke your finger at them? They have no hands! The only thing they can do is bite you and then you get mad!'

Well duhh! Out of the mouths of babes! So this is what I tell visitors, even though the Beaks no longer bite. Of course, it helps that they (the Beaks, not the visitors) have big shiny red beaks... :D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, mine go out and about all the time, so this is an issue I deal with all the time.

I control other people's interaction with my birds. No exception. And mine have been bite pressure trained, and socialized to the Nth degree. They pinch, they don't draw blood. No damages = no basis for an award.

Finally, AND THIS IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY I'VE FOUND TO GET THE POINT ACROSS. I keep part of a toy in the car. It's a block of wood that Maggie bit in half... BEFORE anyone approaches my bird, I hand them the broken toy, and ask them to squeeze it until it shatters. Obviously, the answer is, I can't do it...

Then I tell them that I make her toys out of this stuff. SHE CAN! Then I take that block of wood, and compare it to my arm. The toy is THICKER...

Enough said. Now, she is tame, BUT sometimes she doesn't want strangers touching her. So if she says NO TOUCHING, it means NO TOUCHING!! Understand?!

I've been taking birds out and about for fifteen years now, never had an incident - except with an attempted bird thief who tried to grab a macaw out of a tree in the park, and run off with her....

TRUST ME - HE WON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Most Reactions