Jumping bird.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I have a CAG and she is about 6 or 7 months old. We let her up on the top of the cage a lot and she gets on top of the toy hook(about 2 1/2 yards off the ground)and jumps!She tries to fly to us or tries landing on a piece of furniture. She usually succeeds with the furniture but we always try to catch her. Today she did it and it was the first time i actually heard a thump. Nothing was there to startle her. I ran in the room(I was in the kitchen preparing her vegetables) and when I ran in she was on the floor and started running around. I don't think shes hurt because she has some flight but it didn't work out the best today. I let her calm down and picked her up and put her in the cage. Now she's eating. First of all do you guys think she's okay?She doesn't seem hurt but I know that birds have an instinct to hide their illnesses. Second, how can I stop this behavior?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Baby birds like human babies can take alot of bumps. Watch her closely for the next couple of days. She is trying to learn to fly? Are you going to continue to clip her wings? Merlin was so clumsy when clipped that I decided not to clip. He was constantly falling from his cage & I thought he would be safer being able to fly. Hope she's ok.

OP
suncon97

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
She was allowed to fly when she was a baby but her wings were clipped for safety. She has some flight back because the clip was a while ago but it didn't work out this morning. She usually has successful landings and takeoffs. Right now she is standing on 1 foot preening. She just switched over to the other foot as I was typing. She's been playing with her toys and eating but I'll keep a close eye on her to see if she has any behavior changes and I'll try to work on limiting her time on the toy hook.

OP
suncon97

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
I think I found a solution. I put more toys up their and lots of foraging things. It entertains her so she doesn't even try to climb up!

Most Reactions