just an introduction

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
Hi I a Shawna,and I live in WV. I currently have no birds, but am looking for one or two. I have 3 children of my own and 4 step. We have 3 cats, 1 dog, 1 bearded dragon, 1 gerbil and 1 turtle. I have had cockateils and quakers. I have helped care for african greys, parakeets, goffins, and one I can never remember the name of. Sorry. I love birds. So that is basically it. Hi everyone.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
A big warm welcome to you and your entire family, skin, scales, fur and all :). If you love birds this is the place to be, it is such a great community. I wish you luck with your search for a feathered companion. I'm sure our fabulous members would be happy to answer any questions you have.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Hi back, and welcome. You are among friends (1 spouse, 2 teens still at home and ALL their buddies, one set of Russian speaking elders (a mother and uncle in law) two horses, two dogs, two cats, two ducks, two conures and two keets... to list in size.) So you wanting to add birds to your existing zoo makes perfect sense to me and it will to the rest of the forum as well. Now, discussing that desire with details openly at the checkout line at the grocery store might get you some strange looks.

Several members in your area will be able to advise you on first steps. Big early decision is rescue vs. baby. Lots of variables to consider there. I have done both and with patience both can result in a great new addition to any insane asylum...er...home.

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
LOL yeah zoo is definately a good word for us. Our animals have run of our house. Most of our animals are rescues. The only two not are our lizard and turtle. I got the Dog free for my best friend. She was timid and a biter. Now she plays and is healthy. My BF said she was the best present I ever got her. One of our cats came to us through a dumpster. His sister adn him had been thrown away. Horrible huh? He is an outdoor cat. Slightly aggressive. But he is great with me. He comes by every three days or so and eats. Or when it rains he hides in a corner of the house until it's over then hes off again. Another cat was free to good home from craigslist. She belongs to my neice/step-daughter. Almost a year old. Indoor cat. A lady was not feeding her and expected her 18 month old daughter to care for her. the last cat was found outside by my 9 year old. She was given to my soon to be ex-husband. So when I move in Feb. I will have 1 gerbil and 1 bearded dragon. And hopefully my own feathery friend. I am hoping I can get a rescue, because to be honest they need homes more. And I don'tmind a few issues, just not a bad biter. I have small kids.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome our forum has another family member
You sure have your hands full.
Good luck with your search, any questions just ask, friendly awesome members always willing to assist
If you are bird crazy, you will definitely enjoy our forum

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
I know that there are some excellent rescue groups in your part of the country. As you are headed into a big move, you may want to look now and get the bird after the transition. Moves are hard period and adding in a bird could make it just that much more insane!

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
I was thinking about waiting until after the move, but the good news is I am leaving almost everything behind so the move will be simple and easy. My parents are helping and that makes things even easier. I have a huge wonderful family. They are even discussing buying me my own home for good. I am alone a lot now and I will be even more alone when I move. But if I get a companion now then they will know everyone who will be coming and going from my new home. I think of that as a huge bonus. Plus I don't like cages so unless I have to use it it will be for feeding only. The cage I have is very large and will be coming with us. I also don't like clipping wings unless it becomes nessasary. That is why I was hoping to get one soon. Slightly selfish I know. But also my step kids will be over a lot and I wanted the bird used to them also.

OP
L

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
Well we have finally decided how we (my family) are going to get a bird. I am going to wait on adopting a bigger bird until I move in Feb. That way I will not upsetting the bird too much.

But for right now, we are getting a lovebird. It's coming from the lady who sells birds to my local pet shop. The one I trust really well. The guy who owns it works with rescues. Plus he has a macaw and cockatoo. So this should make my son very happy. He is rally excited. I think it will work better. Plus it will get my family used to birds since my kids have never really been around them the way I have. We have a cage and, it's either tomorrow or Saturday we bring her? home. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

The bird has just been weened. So it has yet to bond to anyone. So I am told. She was hand fed and is supposedly really friendly. Of course I will be checking on that to make sure. But the local owner has alawys handled all his birds and lets who ever walks in handle them also. Including kids. So I am going to trust for right now. She is the last bird of the clutch. Now if only I had $100 I would get the baby parrotlet too. Last of that clutch.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Congratulations, can't wait to see pics of the little one after you get him/her home :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
84.gif

Welcome Aboard

DustyDusky

Jan 7, 2010
Media
New York
Parrots
Dusty: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forum!
I definitely look forward to seeing pictures when you add to your family :)
i also have a zoo ^^ 2 ferrits, 2 cats, a german shepherd and my conure. The list used to be much larger

Most Reactions