Just an update/observation..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...for some time now..(probably when I started flapflapflap lessons with Amy)
I have dedicated "us" time..just the two of us. Beeb's stays put in his condo,to advoid distractions for Amy,while Amy and I take about an hour to play/train together.
I have been noticing a subtle change in his demeanor. It seems to me that he anticipates and enjoys this time. We start off with the flapflap lessons and it seems Amy KNOWS when lessons are about to begin. When I ask him if he is ready to go flapping,while I prepare our training area I have seen him on his roof top doing "big eagle" stretches and a couple arm waving events.
In twenty-eight years I have NEVER seen Amy do this.

After we do the "lessons" (about ten minutes or so worth) it's play time. Whie on his perch stick I turn it so he ends up hanging upside down and I twirl it back and forth to rock him. At time's he will hang upside down by one foot.at times it is hanging by his BEAK while kicking legs lol.
I then turn him and have him lay on his back in my hands and then we play "catch the birdie" where I gently "throw" him from one hand to the other a few times,all the while he stays perfectly still ( I saw a you tube vid of someone doing this with an Ekkie at an outside cafe' in some big city)

Now,when Amy is on his roof top,he has a half-dozen,different style,chew/bang/pull/jiggle toy's that hang from a perch and he now actively plays with them,where they once were pretty much ignored.
Now he even seems to be seeking out more head skritches then before..by lowering his head more when on my lap.

I wish I had three hands sometimes...one to hold the camera!

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
That would be a really cool video Jim! Even Salty does not let me do that to him. He'll lie on his back in my hand ( after I shoot him , "Bang" ) but I have to hold perfectly still.

Are you doing Amys sessions about the same time every day? Salty is like a cuckcoo clock, come 8:45PM, and if I am not clearing off our training area ( coffee table), he lets me know about it.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Al the flapping sessions happen in the evening,not always the "exact" same time,and our "play time" is done more than once a day/night.

I'm STILL not back to work! Monday I have to go to get "recertified" by a DOT doctor,before I can return. When that is taken care of my schedule will go back to insane 15 hour days (includes 3 hour commute round trip),then I'll be able to establish a proper routine.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Amy has done such a great job of training you! The moves seem time to catch your attention and inspire you to respond!

Amy Rules!

Most Reactions