Just Can't Do It

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Went to my feed and toy store today in Clairemont Mesa. Made the usual rounds to all the birds and then went to talk with the B/G macaw. But today she seemed very pleased to hang out with me. Making lots of head shaking gestures and mouthing but not really biting my fingers. Then after about a half hour of this and seeing other birds she finally decided to trust me and stepped up. (could've been the scarlet macaw stepping up made her jealous) .
But I'm almost 50 now and she would have to be willed out to someone and I'm already out of the house so much with my job. As much love and trust as she showed me today I just don't think it would work.
What if? That's always the question right? Then there's hahnzel to consider as well. And the extras like food, cages, toys, cleaning and socializing.
If only...

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I avoid the live birds when I go into any Pet store. To be honest I love them and doubt I would have bought one. Mine is a rescue and felt so bad for him stuck in a dog cage.

50 is not old. Not at all. My son already knows he will one day have a Macaw when i die . LOL

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
:DOnly one?! You're sure about that, right?! :D

OP
goalerjones

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
I'm leaning towards going back to school as well. Making my bad schedule even worse. The manager Debbie didn't make it easy. She told me she'd make me a good deal.

OP
goalerjones

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
I have no idea how you guys keep more than one bird. Much respect !

The same way I kept more than one human child :)

I reject this theory. Human children, if things go moderately well, will one day leave the house, living on their own. Birds are like having 2-3 year olds perpetually living in your house.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

I reject this theory. Human children, if things go moderately well, will one day leave the house, living on their own. Birds are like having 2-3 year olds perpetually living in your house.

True, but I guess some of us enjoy living with our perpetual toddlers and never want them to leave. I can't imagine life without them.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

It's still the same thing whether it's for 20 years or 50 years. She said she didn't know how you could care for more than 1 bird at once and it's the same way I cared for 2 children at once. For those 20 plus years we had to work a schedule and I do the same with the birds. It might be more than 20 years, but it's the same theory.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I agree. It's part of my every day life, that I can't imagine living without. I don't want them to grow up and move out... Honestly, there have been times when my birds have been my "sanity savers." They make me laugh everyday. Remind me that, no matter what I've got going on, play is not optional...

Hey - I volunteered at a place that had 350 birds, another place that had 75+... where I had 11 of my own on top of that, at one point and time (Including fosters.)

Compared to that, five is nothing, especially when two of them are super independent. And one is super independent about 50% of the time. (Which of course, leaves the macaws, which are super clingy and would be velcro if they could get away with it.)

Last edited:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots

It's still the same thing whether it's for 20 years or 50 years. She said she didn't know how you could care for more than 1 bird at once and it's the same way I cared for 2 children at once. For those 20 plus years we had to work a schedule and I do the same with the birds. It might be more than 20 years, but it's the same theory.

I said Keep I never said care. Wow guys . I was just saying it takes a lot of time. I respect anyone that has more than one.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The other thing you have to realize in a multi-bird household, is that the birds entertain each other. Sometimes having ONE velcro bird, is more difficult than having ten, that for the most part, are content to entertain themselves, or play with each other.

The buddy bird concept works.

And it's the exact same mess in a multi bird household, there's just more of it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I said Keep I never said care. Wow guys . I was just saying it takes a lot of time. I respect anyone that has more than one.

There are some "economies of scale" with multiple birds; I have 11 and it is not remotely 11 times the work! True, the cleaning and maintenance of cage cleaning is a bigger job, but preparing 11 crocks of fruit/veggies is more fun because my breakfast consists of grazing during preparation, and there is usually one "executive chef" on each shoulder!

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I was using keep and cared for interchangeably. I wasn't being down on anyone. I just meant that's how I keep/care for more than one bird. It's certainly not for everyone.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
LOL> Will it cause the birds to bond more with each other than the owner ?

Sometimes it does, and that becomes a problem. Especially with the pair bond species like conures, amazons, and macaws. I had a pair of "problem conures" that were bonded to each other, and couldn't care less about humans... and had evil-ed their way out of five prior homes before I ended up with them. Those two could not EVER be separated.

But my CAG and my RFM are buddy birds, as they were raised together. My Lilac Crowned was kept with a CAG for around 10 years, and he and Tusk are "partners in crime" so to speak. Where ever my CAG goes, my LCA will be close behind.

Sadly, the CAG the LCA was kept with became depressed, and plucked himself raw the day after the owner gave away the rest of his flock, and kept only him. He couldn't part with the CAG, and the CAG couldn't stand losing his flock.

So that's the trap.

When Tusk was missing, my birds behaved differently. There IS a very real flock dynamic. And everyone in the household is a part of it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Went to my feed and toy store today in Clairemont Mesa. Made the usual rounds to all the birds and then went to talk with the B/G macaw. But today she seemed very pleased to hang out with me. Making lots of head shaking gestures and mouthing but not really biting my fingers. Then after about a half hour of this and seeing other birds she finally decided to trust me and stepped up. (could've been the scarlet macaw stepping up made her jealous) .
But I'm almost 50 now and she would have to be willed out to someone and I'm already out of the house so much with my job. As much love and trust as she showed me today I just don't think it would work.
What if? That's always the question right? Then there's hahnzel to consider as well. And the extras like food, cages, toys, cleaning and socializing.
If only...

Your consideration of the long-term is commendable as is a careful avoidance of a snap-decision that could lead to buyers remorse! All of your concerns have been confronted by others and can be managed with care and a bit of strategy!

You'd have to consult with others, but I suspect a B/G, though larger, could safely interact with Hahnzel.

To me, the joys of living in a multiple bird home far outweigh the detriments, but again, you seem properly cautious before making the leap!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
My linniesband budgies prefer their own kind, but my sennies and mac only love humans and aren't interested in any other birds. In fact, both Zoe and Sydney chase any other bird and/or animal we pay attention to.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My lines and budgies prefer their own kind, but my sennies and mac only love humans and aren't interested in any other birds. In fact, both Zoe and Sydney chase any other bird and/or animal we pay attention to.

That would be my RFM in clingy bird mode...

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Thanks guys. We would consider another one. Just want to make sure what I would be getting into.
Great News I found a Avian that just opened her practice about 30 min from where I live. The only other one was 2 1/2 hours so this is great news to me.

Most Reactions