Just got our Severe Macaw!

joshuaben15

Apr 4, 2012
So, after thinking it over, we decided to purchase the 2 year old severe that we had been checking out. We decided that it would be technically my roomates. We got a nice cage for her last night with a perch and bowls on top, and she has been hanging out up there ever since we brought her home. The store said she would be stressed for the next couple of days, so we should respect her space for a little while. Any advice for us on what we should start doing with her right away as far as training and acclimating her is concerned? Would love any advice and tips you guys can give!!Thanks!

:D

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I'm not a macaw expert by any means but I do live with a cockatoo parrot. What do you mean by 'technically your room mates'? I believe that this bird needs some one to be it's forever parent. Meaning 60-70yrs. worth of parenting.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Wow! You got her! You must be so happy! Congratulations!

Severe macaws are very rare over here. I've seen 2 of them in Australia. I think they cost about $25000. I don't know what to do with them. Do you? I'm pretty sure you'll be OK, because severe macaws are quite common in the US and lots of people keep them as pets without problems. I think she'll need some water and some food. What do you think?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I suggest you do as much reading as possible about companion parrot behavior and training. It's really so much information none of us would be able to spell it out here.

And research her diet, please. Various macaw species have diets that vary from most other parrots, and some need a high fat/nut content.

And yes, a wellness check with the vet is a good idea. He/she will also be able to advise you on diet and answer other health related questions.

Even after a lifetime (40+ years) owning birds, I'm always still reading and learning myself. What we now know about diet alone has changed a lot since I had those first couple of birds. For the first time I'm dealing with my birds courting me, so I have had to not only refresh my memory about it, I am doing quite a bit of research on that, and talking with other parrot owners about it.

I also now have a bird with an incurable disease that I have had to learn all about.

I suggest you visit Sally Blanchard's website regarding parrot behavior.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Invest in some books. The internet is an absolutely fabulous source of information, but books offer a detailed, concise, and reliable body of information that you aren't likely to find online.

I'd recommend Parrots for Dummies (does a great job covering all your basics), and Sally Blanchards Companion Parrot Handbook. Look in to macaw specific books as well; I can't recommend one myself but look on Amazon.

Always focus on maintaining both the mental and physical health of your bird. This means offering attention, providing a stimulating environment and as has been said, diet (this does NOT mean seed).

Owning a parrot is a constant learning experience. Learn to love research.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm not a macaw expert by any means but I do live with a cockatoo parrot. What do you mean by 'technically your room mates'? I believe that this bird needs some one to be it's forever parent. Meaning 60-70yrs. worth of parenting.

Josh means the bird is not technically his, but his room mates ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts