Just had oven mishap - need advice!

themacinjosh

Mar 8, 2012
So just earlier tonight, we were cooking in the oven (using a glass pan that didn't have PTFE), and accidentally left the gas oven on. The door was closed of course, and there aren't any vents in our kitchen...we noticed it was warmer than usual in our part of the house we rent, but just figured the people upstairs had the heat on higher. Then I went and checked the kitchen to find the oven was on.

It's been several hours since dinner, and about 1 hour since I turned the oven off (also opened the door to try and air out any potential fumes). I have a baby lovebird (we think it's about 7 weeks old?) and we already had put the cover on her cage and all. She didn't seem to want to go night night when we put her in there as she didn't go right to sleep like she had the past couple nights...I've been trying to check on her and she's been sleeping on and off (probably isn't helping that i'm checking on her, that could be waking her up too!).

What would you do in this situation? I'm nervous to go to sleep because I'm afraid of something happening to her but I think I would know by now if she was being adversely affected. I could open a window in the room she's in but i wouldn't want it to get so cold and drafty either.

Please let me know!

Oh, and I should say, I never smelled gas this whole time and we have a carbon monoxide detector and that's not going off either. All I noticed with the oven being on was the heat.

OP
T

themacinjosh

Mar 8, 2012
Actually now I'm thinking again maybe the bird has mites...I've never heard her scratching her head during nighttime, and tonight i heard her wake up and do that. Also when I checked on her, she wasn't sleeping, but looked like she was trying to. Is there a way to see if she has mites, like if I examined her tomorrow real well? I've noticed her scratching her head from time to time when I've had her out...I just figured it was because she's a baby and maybe has new feathers or something...but if it's mites, how long would i have before it got really serious? What would I notice as it progressed and got worse?

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
If you think that your perrot has a helthproblem then I surgest a vet visit. The vet can alson answer you questions

Most Reactions