Just left a bird rescue

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
I just left a local bird rescue, i have been looking into adding a macaw to our family for some time now, and i figured i would go visit the rescue. I met a plucked B&G and spent about an hour with him, i can't stop thinking about him, and i could use an outside opinion. They really didn't have much of a back story on him, all they know is that he is male and around 4 years old. He was shaking when they first brought him out, i just stood by him and talked to him for a few minutes, he did let me give him scritches, but he doesn't seem to know how to step up, he did nip me twice, i didn't flinch and i am super proud of myself for that, and he kept walking over to me and bobbing his head, it wasn't like a dancing bob, he stretched his neck up and made a bobbing motion, i'm not really sure what that means. The next step would obviously be to bring the rest of my family to meet him, i feel so bad for him and almost cried when i left, but i am worried about him not stepping up, which he wouldn't do for the owner of the rescue either, he had to pick his feet up, i guess i'm worried about being the right person for him, it seems like he's already been dealt a not so great hand...any advice or opinions will be welcomed and appreciated

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
My opinion...if you can visit with him a few more times, do so. You'll get a better idea if he's the bird for you. Good job not flinching! :)

FunnyFarmAK

Dec 9, 2013
We live outside of Haines, Alaska at the far north
Parrots
I currently have a B&G Macaw, a Harliquin Macaw, a Goffins cockatoo, a sulphur crested cockatoo, a scrappy head, and 2 Congo African Greys
spending as much time visiting over a period and bringing family members to see him is great. The more the visiting, the more you 2 will know if you're good for each other. For the birds sake, I hope you guys hit it off as it's not easy to take a bird like this and give him a good life. You are to be admired for your compassion. Hope it works out and let us know.
As for that particular hesad bobbing, my guess is he's curious and interested, but somethin in his past makes him hesitate. I think he's reaching out to you to take him home.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, he is beautiful! Hope it works out that you can take him:)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
you can try a large perch and see if he steps up, he is gorgeous!!!

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
I hope it works out too, i wish i knew more about him, they put him on a play stand so we could visit it had like a ladder bridge, he kept lifting his foot to step on it and then he would change his mind and back away, it just made me feel like he must have never had toys to play with so he didn't know what it was, and that's how i feel about him stepping up...maybe no one ever picked him up, or loved him :( ...i hope he likes my kids (5&7) that is now my main worry

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Gorgeous boy!
The rescue should help you determine whether you are a good home for any bird - that's what they are there for!
Good luck!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just my .02 if I wanted to adopt a macaw I'd contact Wendy Craig up in the Dallas area. That rescue is run by the bird shop Adventures In Birds and while I enjoy their shop and they are knowledgeable IMO they are more resellers than rescue. Their adoption fees are as high as a weaned baby. I looked into adopting a linnie from them recently and they wanted $175, which is more than I paid for one of my hand fed linnies.

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Just my .02 if I wanted to adopt a macaw I'd contact Wendy Craig up in the Dallas area. That rescue is run by the bird shop Adventures In Birds and while I enjoy their shop and they are knowledgeable IMO they are more resellers than rescue. Their adoption fees are as high as a weaned baby. I looked into adopting a linnie from them recently and they wanted $175, which is more than I paid for one of my hand fed linnies.

I will check into that, not all of the birds had adoption fees listed, but I did think a few were a little high, for instance the Moluccan cockatoos they had were somewhere around $1500 if I remember correctly, although I've never really checked prices on them....I had a bad experience with a too when I was younger and I think I will always have a fear of them on some level, the b&g's adoption fee is $600

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Well that's not bad at all. Most of their rescues are priced pretty high, but if it's the right bird for you then it's worth it.

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
Well that's not bad at all. Most of their rescues are priced pretty high, but if it's the right bird for you then it's worth it.

I totally agree, is wendysparrots.com her website? We are planning to make a trip back to visit probably on Sunday so we can all go, I had a slow day at work today so I left and went, I'm hoping he likes kids, or at least doesn't dislike them lol

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Yeah, that's the right website. You can email her and tell her what your looking for and she can tell you if she has any rescues that fit the bill. I'm currently in the process of discussing adopting a red belly parrot from her.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
well, see how he is with your family. just because he doesnt step up now it dont mean he wont eventually! :D you might just need to earn his trust. he sounds a little uneasy with some things and he might just be a more timid individual. if you cant stop thinking about it, that's usually the first sign that you might have found the bird for you ;) he seems pretty special already! he's really handsome too and i'd bet you'd be a great owner for him!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I agree with others that multiple visits will help you determine if he is right for you. I also think he was regurgitating. I think he likes you. You probably approached him in a loving way that he was not used to.

Most birds will step up on a perch. So trying that may be helpful. Both my rehomed birds Savannah and Coqui, never stepped on any of their previous owners arms, just on wooden perches. I had them both stepping up on my arm in less then a month. Earning their trust is key. With patience and lots of love, you could have a very loving companion with this one! Good luck and keep us posted!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, the other thing is rescue birds don't get out much. That's also the "happy head bob." I'm out of my cage and getting attention... two of the three things macaws love most in the world.

(Pizza crust being the third, of course!)

OP
A

autum_howard

Jun 25, 2013
Coldspring, TX
Parrots
The motion was sorta like the video, but his neck was stretched up and his head was tilted back a little, its hard to describe lol, I am fixin to leave to go visit again, i am taking my 5 year old son with me to meet him (fingers crossed) if he does it again i will try to take a video, i will post an update when i get back :)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I think birdman666 might be right, it may be the happy head bop! LOL!

Most Reactions