Just want to say thank you

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
I was curious what my first few threads were about so I went back and read them. Looking back, I'm surprised. I've only had Constantine for a month and a half yet it feels I've had my precious baby girl for ages. I've learned so much from her and seen first hand how amazingly intelligent she is. She's not scared of anything (except random floating clumps of dust) and learns so fast. Just a week ago she refused to touch her harness. Now, I'm able to slip it over her head and around her body. She knows that when Mama puts her jacket on and reaches for her, she's going to go somewhere fun (unless we're going to the vet!) and she's eager to climb in.

Not only am I immensely proud of her (I could be that annoying parent at the office that's always bragging about their kid) but I'm proud of myself. As I was reading my old posts, I found myself wondering why I never used common sense with Con. The ignorance I found there actually made me laugh but now, I have grown. I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of you guys and don't claim to be but without your help, I wouldn't be where I am today and Con probably would have ended up at a rescue.

So to get to my point, thank you everyone. Without you, I never would have made it through my tears and experienced that heart shattering bond with my baby after our failed attempt at nail trimming. I never would have learned that teaching takes time and that love can be found in even the smallest bundle of feathers. I never would have had confidence if it wasn't for you guys and your own experiences and encouragement. So I just want to say thank you :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Con is lucky to have you because you were willing to learn. I went through some of the same things when I first got Rowdy. My 30 years with budgies really didn't prepare me much for a bird like her. Let's just say I did a lot of reading, lol! Thank you, Sally Blanchard and your fellow bird behavioral spe******ts for your advice! I didn't have a computer back then so was pretty much on my own with whatever books I could find. It is funny now because I know her so well it is hard to remember those first few weeks. I don't have the level of communication with Pete and Merlin yet that I have with Rowdy, but we are getting there. I would say Rowdy taught me everything I know about birds.

Also a big thank you to the lady who used to do bird rescue who had emailed me when I was looking for a new bird. She was very helpful those first few days with Pete when he decided I would make a good wife for him, and I wasn't sure how to deal with that, lol! My female conures knew I was a woman, too, and had never courted me. She was nice enough to answer all my questions regarding that even though she didn't know me.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Glad you and Con are doing great together. Those first few weeks are kinda terrifying aren't they?

It's great to hear you guys are doing so good together. :)

OP
Helitorian

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Glad you and Con are doing great together. Those first few weeks are kinda terrifying aren't they?

It's great to hear you guys are doing so good together. :)

Yes very terrifying. I thought we wouldn't make it through but everyone here kept telling me to be patient and give her time and it worked :) I was the one that needed to be trained lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We all start out somewhere. I didn't know much about them at first, but the local pet shop lady was very helpful. Then I learned a lot during breeding. There's always more to learn. :)

Most Reactions