Rehoming my conure

Ksidd

Sep 8, 2023
Parrots
Cinnamon green-cheek conure
My husband and I got married in December, and got a 40-day old cinnamon green-cheek conure in February. We named her Kiwi. I fell in love with her right away. Kiwi is the first conure I've had and was also the first unweaned parrot I've had. She is super cuddly, playful, and loving. She loves being involved in everything my husband and I do. We have had her for 7 months now.

My husband recently got a job out of country and we have to move in the next couple months. I have contacted many pet travel companies but we can't afford what they're asking to export and import Kiwi. My heart is breaking at the thought of having to rehome her. She is my baby. I hand-fed her and weaned her. I have been reading so much about how parrots get emotionally traumatized when they are rehomed and I never want to put Kiwi through that. She is attached to me and my husband so I am worried she will become disturbed.

We are considering giving her to a bird-house (aviary). There are establishments where we live where there are many different types of parrots. We have been there twice ourselves. It is a huge building built beautifully with trees and nesting boxes. The birds there are living as free a life as a domesticated bird can live. There are many conures there as well. People can pay to visit and feed the birds as well. Would this be a good place to leave Kiwi? If I have to rehome her, I want it to be somewhere where she will never have to leave again. Kiwi has never interacted with another parrot. Would she be okay with being left with so many parrots all of a sudden? I have to keep telling myself that she is a bird, not a human, and she will most likely be happiest around her own kind.

What would you all suggest? Has anyone had to rehome a conure that they have raised?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Most hand raised parrots are sold by breeders to people that want very tame birds. These birds go on to do fine. so if you need to rehome her just make sure she goes to a deserving new owner.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I agree that she would be happiest around people since she was hand raised. I wouldn't give her to an aviary if it were me. Where are you located?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
One of my cockatiels was hand raised and she had very little problem adjusting to life with other birds. These days she much prefers the company of other birds to mine.

I think parrots are extremely adaptable and she'll be able to have a good life wherever you decide to rehome her. An aviary would be a good place for her, but so would a loving owner, it just depends on which route you want to go down

G

Guest46745

My husband and I got married in December, and got a 40-day old cinnamon green-cheek conure in February. We named her Kiwi. I fell in love with her right away. Kiwi is the first conure I've had and was also the first unweaned parrot I've had. She is super cuddly, playful, and loving. She loves being involved in everything my husband and I do. We have had her for 7 months now.

My husband recently got a job out of country and we have to move in the next couple months. I have contacted many pet travel companies but we can't afford what they're asking to export and import Kiwi. My heart is breaking at the thought of having to rehome her. She is my baby. I hand-fed her and weaned her. I have been reading so much about how parrots get emotionally traumatized when they are rehomed and I never want to put Kiwi through that. She is attached to me and my husband so I am worried she will become disturbed.

We are considering giving her to a bird-house (aviary). There are establishments where we live where there are many different types of parrots. We have been there twice ourselves. It is a huge building built beautifully with trees and nesting boxes. The birds there are living as free a life as a domesticated bird can live. There are many conures there as well. People can pay to visit and feed the birds as well. Would this be a good place to leave Kiwi? If I have to rehome her, I want it to be somewhere where she will never have to leave again. Kiwi has never interacted with another parrot. Would she be okay with being left with so many parrots all of a sudden? I have to keep telling myself that she is a bird, not a human, and she will most likely be happiest around her own kind.

What would you all suggest? Has anyone had to rehome a conure that they have raised?
I'm not sure, but I would think if you posted you state, someone on here would adopt Kiwi. If near the southeast, I would.

OP
K

Ksidd

Sep 8, 2023
Parrots
I agree that she would be happiest around people since she was hand raised. I wouldn't give her to an aviary if it were me. Where are you located?
I'm in Saudi Arabia right now and that's where I got Kiwi. I was born and raised in America and we are moving back there. The certifications and all the other requirements for transporting a bird are ridiculous.

OP
K

Ksidd

Sep 8, 2023
Parrots
I'm not sure, but I would think if you posted you state, someone on here would adopt Kiwi. If near the southeast, I would.
I'm located in Saudi Arabia rn. I'm from Michigan and we're moving back there. We hadn't planned on moving back this soon and I hadn't expected it to be so expensive and tedious to transport a parrot. My main concern is I don't want to give her to someone who may end up rehoming her again, and then starting a cycle of her being rehomed. That's why I'm considering an aviary because at least then she'll be there forever.

OP
K

Ksidd

Sep 8, 2023
Parrots
One of my cockatiels was hand raised and she had very little problem adjusting to life with other birds. These days she much prefers the company of other birds to mine.

I think parrots are extremely adaptable and she'll be able to have a good life wherever you decide to rehome her. An aviary would be a good place for her, but so would a loving owner, it just depends on which route you want to go down
Yes that's all I want is for her to be happy wherever she goes! There are a few potential people we are thinking of giving her to but idk if they have long-term plans of keeping her. I don't want to start a cycle of rehoming. That's why I'm considering giving her to an aviary because at least she'll be there forever.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Yes that's all I want is for her to be happy wherever she goes! There are a few potential people we are thinking of giving her to but idk if they have long-term plans of keeping her. I don't want to start a cycle of rehoming. That's why I'm considering giving her to an aviary because at least she'll be there forever.
That does make sense, one of my budgies had four different homes at nine months old and it does affect them! I think an aviary is a good choice for her if there's no-one who can keep her long term

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
have you thought of a go fund me to help pay for the expenses? I’m sure if you posted exactly what you posted here. It would break my heart to give up my baby and I’ve only had her a few months. I can’t imagine what you’re going through.

Most Reactions

Latest posts