Just when you think it cant get any worse...

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
please don't give up hope!...I know this seems almost like an impossible task.
try putting the flyers in restaurants, back of washroom doors(yes)convenient stores, mail boxes, the post office.... anywhere you can think of. if you have towns close to you I would do them as well.

In town here someones dog went missing after a lightning storm.(I know it's not a bird, but the moral of the story will prove effective)....the owner went crazy looking for him. he decided to put up flyers on EVERY 2 poles, whether it was a telephone pole, or hydro pole, every store, mailbox, business, etc....in town. you could not look anywhere without seeing a poster, they were everywhere.

we went to a restaurant here in town one night, I went to use the washroom, and what was facing me on the back of the bathroom stall door?.....the poster for the missing dog.

that made such an impression on me.....the dog was found 34 days later. someone had picked him up after he was found running along the side of the road after the storm, they lived in a larger city about an hour away and took him home. they kept him, and put up ads in the city, because our towns were quite a distance away from each other, neither knew anything about the posters.
Eventually the dog was brought back home and the owner was elated.

here's another story I'm sure you can relate to....this is a good one!

A fischer lovebird named Zack flew out the door one day, and went missing for months....yes months. the owner put up posters everywhere, posted ads in local newspapers.....nothing. he put ads on Kijiji, and Craigs list....nothing. He had lost all hope.

Until one day, his cousin was on Kijiji surfing the free want ads, and came across Zack.
It seemed that Zack flew from their town into the bigger city which was about 45 minutes away. In fact he flew right into the downtown core, with over 2 million people living there.

A lady found Zack one day eating with some sparrows underneath some trees, near a park.

it would seem that Zack integrated himself into a flock of sparrows, and survived.
she too put up ads in this big city, but the original owner knew nothing of them and visa versa.

the cousin contacted the person that found Zack, described him to a tee, contacted his uncle, and they went down and got him!

Once home and recuperating from a long trip, Zack was a little under nourished, but seemed otherwise fine. the owner of Zack had posted an ad on Kijiji thanking everyone who helped look for him. To this day the uncle and the lady who found Zack are good friends.

I hope this helps.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hoping you Barry can reunite.

Last edited by a moderator:

broxi3781

Jan 29, 2014
Belfast
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
I think Hen pecked has a brilliant idea. A lost and found section permanently stuck to the top would be a wonderful idea as well. If it shows up on a google search it may encourage people to post found birds. If it reunites oen bird and owner it is well worth it.

I owned a cockatiel many many years ago that I found in a park. It was a really bitey bird so maybe that why no one ever claimed it, but I also found a dog that I was told lived 45 miles away a couple of days after horrible thunder storms. Thankfully it's owner was found. I have no idea how far a bird like this could travel, but I'd put up flyers in ever increasing circles from home, advertise on any and all free internet sites ( we use Gumtree) and put flyer sin every pet store within a 75 mile radius. If you happen to find a bird - the first thing you need is a cage and food.

And don't give up hope, he may still make his way home.

Good luck

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
I am so sorry to hear about Nelson, how sad and then to have Barry sneak out the window...what a terrible turn of events. I am a prayer and will pray for your Barry to find his way home...

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I moved to a new house a few months ago. Due to work hours increasing(I also study) and my neighbours I have to rehome her. I've gotten many complaints from noise control and they said she has to go. They have given me time to rehome her. She was staying at a friends house for awhile but her partner isn't a bird person and wanted her gone ASAP. He couldn't handle the mess she was making, and there neighbours were also complaining about the noise. had another friend who was going to take her but they can't afford to take care of her needs(buy the pellets she needs/toys/etc) I did offer to pay for those needs she said yes. She was on trial and she ended spending the money on herself and just feeding her seed. Then I bought the pellets, toys, etc. She just ended up feeding her pellet with no fruits, veges as it was too much hassle.

Then I met a lady on fb on a bird page. I thought she was perfect, she had Yuki for a few weeks. I've met her birds and they were in great care! Lots of toys, etc. but one day I went to visit Yuki, her cage was gone, her toys were gone, everything which came with Her was gone. She was in a small cage with seed in it. I asked her why and she said at first she said that wasn't Yuki. But after some discussion and arguing she admitted that she sold all of Yukis stuff(she was even going to sell Yuki) so she could get an African grey. I was heart broken. I'll never rehome a pet without a fee again.

So now Yuki is back with me. She has no toys, her $800(well that's what I paid) is gone. She doesn't have any of the toys so I'm going to have to buy more. And the neighbours are angry and complaining because Yuki is back with me. And I got another complaint from noise control.

It's a heart breaking to rehome her but I cannot have her :(

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Aww I'm so sorry all of the trouble you are going through trying to find her a nice home. I am glad you were able to get hee back from all of those less than perfect situations though so at least she has a chance! I hope you find her a nice home.

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Thanks everyone for all of your support, ideas and stories of hope. It does help!

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Well still no news on Barry... But today i got a hand written sympathy card in the mail from the vets about Nelson which was really nice of them.

The lady i got Nelson from offered me a choice of having one of two birds but im still not sure what i want to do =/

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I am so sorry Barry has not shown up.... I actually check for your post couple times a day hoping to hear he's returned or been found.

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I am so sorry Barry has not shown up.... I actually check for your post couple times a day hoping to hear he's returned or been found.
Aww thanks. I check everywhere i can think of on the internet a few times a day also and get a bit excited with every email and phone call with the slightest hope its about Barry but nothing yet... Its still only been a week so fingers crossed =/

Most Reactions