Just Wondering.....hmmmmm

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
Mealy Amazon (Female-4 years old)
How do you make a amazon.. HAPPY:confused: confident:confused: sure:confused:

?????????

my mau mau is a happy bird in general when she is being touched, talked to, and sitting ON HER CAGE... (that being the key words here)

i see birds all the time that love to be moved past the cage.. held on laps.. but my baby is still so scared... of anything really.. new toys, new people, KIDS, noises. its like as long as she is away from her cage she is living in a state of fear and always watching over her back.

ive had her almost a year and ive watched her go from a cage bound bird scared to even eat her food never talking to a very talkative little BABY who loves to be petted and tickled but her fear puzzles me.. im at a blocker and dont know how to help her..

im building her a t-stand for christmas so she will FINALLY have a place to perch off of her cage (cant wait) but i suspect her to be frightened of this as well

im puzzled and finally hit a road block with mauie:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
I don't know much about my Boo's history. I know his last owner was a blond woman, because the rescue place told me that. I also know he *hates* blond women. My little sister still has a scar from the first time they met.
For the first couple of years that he lived here, if I approached his cage when he was making noise, he would panic and get very defensive. He doesn't do that any more. He's still nervous about new things, and I've learned to play with his toys where he can see me before I attach them to his cage. That seems to break the ice. He has never taken food from me unless he sees me eat a little bit of it first. He still hates outdoors - I never worry about him flying away, because it's all I can go to keep him from flying back to his cage if I walk past the patio door when he's on my shoulder. The few times he's been startled into flight, he aims for the hallway leading away from outside.
He has gotten more confident and calm as the years have gone by. I don't know if he's ever going to get past what I suspect was a not very good first home, but he knows the way things work here, and he's adapted well.

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
if you can bird proof a room leave toys and treats out were the bird will see them open the gage door leave and shut the door to the room behind you. After awhile the bird should
build a sense of security then work youself into the picture. leave a radio or somthing to aclimate the bird to noises.

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
GREAT NEWS.. today my mau mau actually let a complete stranger pet her without trying to go haywire and bite them.. i was so proud of her.. she is really starting to trust humans ALL HUMANS at that.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi brandi
So happy to hear that mau mau is gaining trust and confidence.
Not often a bird lets a complete stranger pet them.
Keep up the great work, lots of love, devotion and inter action sure makes a bird a happy and content one.
Hopefully mau mau will eventually start playing with the toys.
Have you tried, with her on your lap, playing with one of the toys.
Mishka was also scared at first. After a few days, with the toy on my lap, she got curious, and eventually started playing with the toy.
Good luck
Great day
Take care

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
no i havent tried that.. to be honest im still a bit afraid myself of being bitten or upsetting her.. when i try to sit her down on my lap or anywhere she will start the climb up my arm from being nervous and it then makes me nervous so its not very good situation.. so as of now we are just to where i take her out and she perches on my arm for a bit then goes to her cage top.

i still have a long long way to go, but my first priority was getting her to let me get her out of the cage and touch her. today i had a peanut in my mouth picking and playing around with her and she took it from my mouth as carefully as she could.. then of course she laughed and i had to do it again. this will now be my new way of getting her close to my face so that she can start to share kisses :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi brandi :D
Keep doing exactly what you are now doing. If mau mau is happy climbing on your arm, then back onto the cage, that is great. At least she is having physical contact with you. No matter how small it seems now, she is gaining your trust.
Laughed at the peanut story, it's cool. LoL
Continue in that way, great way to bond, and many many more kisses.
Mishka still today takes yummy's from my mouth "attention seeker" haha
Keep us updated okay
Take care

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
well ive continued the peanut trick and she now looks for them in my mouth.. she is so crazy sometimes she is talking to strangers and really "coming out of her shell" she let me walk her around the house today and of course she has become quiet fond of the pet my body act she pulls.. she will lay down flat on her belly and when i start to pet down her back and make it to her tail she laughs so loudly everyone can hear.. i call it her chicken laugh because it sounds like a chicken clucking

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hey brandi
So glad to hear you are enjoying Mau Mau sooooooo much.
I reckon you are giving her brandi all day !!!!!! bradi love LoL :D
Would love the hear her chicken laugh.
Keep up the great work.
Take care

Most Reactions