Just wondering. ....Where do your birds go with you?

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi all,
I read several post about socializing. I noticed where alot of you take your birds places with you. Wanted to see where all you take your birds. I am looking at a travel
cage ( would love the celltei pak o bird) but not sure where its safe to take him with me. Just not sure if stores would allow him in? Then I worry about taking him into homes when we visit family (candles, cleaners) Hope this isn't a silly question to ask.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I take Kiwi all over when it's warm out! Basically, anywhere that will allow him (BTW, grocery stores and most restaurants won't allow non-service animals). I always ask before I bring him in somewhere, but most people are thrilled to see him and he eats the attention up:D He is especially fond of Home Depot, Joann fabrics (he just loves all those bright fabrics) and the bank. He also likes the farmers market, as people like to give him berries and nuts and stuff:p He's been downtown to (small) outdoor concerts and loves riding the train. We also go on walks, short hikes, down to the lake nearby, he's even been to the beach. I use the pak-o-bird and it's one of the best investments I've made for him. Highly recommend it!

Now most birds will require some time to get used to the concept of going out, so little walks around the block are a good place to start. You don't want to frighten the bird taking them out into a crowd right away. I see you have a zon, and most zons (once they get used to the idea) LOVE being out and about birds! Best of luck!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pretty much anywhere we don't get kicked out of...

And every once in awhile, someplace where we get asked to leave.

Hey, it's worth a shot.

OP
happy410

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Lol,
So Petsmart and other pet stores would be okay? Wasn't sure with them having other birds there.Just worried about diseases.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
One of my Fav places to go is Panera Bread. We go for lunch and sit on the outside patio. You would be surprised at how many people come to say hi! My birds all love the attention and the snacks!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Lol,
So Petsmart and other pet stores would be okay? Wasn't sure with them having other birds there.Just worried about diseases.

You are right to worry about diseases in stores that carry birds. I, personally, wouldn't take that risk. :)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I take Kiwi all over when it's warm out! Basically, anywhere that will allow him (BTW, grocery stores and most restaurants won't allow non-service animals). I always ask before I bring him in somewhere, but most people are thrilled to see him and he eats the attention up:D He is especially fond of Home Depot, Joann fabrics (he just loves all those bright fabrics) and the bank. He also likes the farmers market, as people like to give him berries and nuts and stuff:p He's been downtown to (small) outdoor concerts and loves riding the train. We also go on walks, short hikes, down to the lake nearby, he's even been to the beach. I use the pak-o-bird and it's one of the best investments I've made for him. Highly recommend it!

Now most birds will require some time to get used to the concept of going out, so little walks around the block are a good place to start. You don't want to frighten the bird taking them out into a crowd right away. I see you have a zon, and most zons (once they get used to the idea) LOVE being out and about birds! Best of luck!

pak-o-bird.

Is the large big enough for a Macaw ?

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
I think the extra large is Macaw size. Personally I just use a aviator harness.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I just use a shoulder blade, an arm, or a hand... but mine have had more out and about and startle training than most get... and my out and about trained birds are all recalled. (Not that recall is 100% certain, but it's pretty good.)

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
I wish I had a clue about recall training. Some day I will delve into that, I have a lot more to learn about other facets of bird psych first.

I am getting there! At least I can take them out on a harness!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I wish I had a clue about recall training. Some day I will delve into that, I have a lot more to learn about other facets of bird psych first.

I am getting there! At least I can take them out on a harness!

Well, it's kind of an ongoing continuous thing once you start that stuff... you have to keep it up. If mine tolerated the harnesses better, I'd go that route... with a few of them. I haven't kept up Sweepea's recall training, and haven't harnessed her in years either...

She fights the harness, and there are still occasions where I have to go chase after her. So it's an inexact science...

Maggie, and Sally are both very, very good. And I still free fly Sally occasionally. Maggie shows very little interest in anything other than a shoulder, a lap, or her playstand... (Preference being lap.) So, it's as much a temperment thing as anything. I've been pretty lucky...

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Gilbert goes on all my dogs walks around town when the weather allows it (I live in a town, so we can walk down Main St and he gets to see the shops and people eating outside at restaurants). He likes the beach and then does parades and outdoor events downtown. I haven't taken him in a lot of stores because I often have the dogs with me too, but when in stores, he behaves really well and is usually given free stuff. (He goes to Rita's, they give him a little sample cup to lick; He went to Dunkin Donuts recently and they were offering him free munchkins, LOL. I allowed him a little bite and he was amazed! haha)

I also have resisted taking him in any pet stores (other than on my shoulder in my local dog bakery) just for safety.

I have used a carrier in the past but he is happily harness trained and will basically just stay put on my shoulder.

As far as socializing him, yes he is a more well balanced bird for getting out and seeing how things work. But he still is a bird and still chooses ME. He really is fine being friendly with strangers but isn't all warm and fuzzy with them in general (he would prefer if they don't handle him even though he doesn't look scared of strangers).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
As far as socializing him, yes he is a more well balanced bird for getting out and seeing how things work. But he still is a bird and still chooses ME. He really is fine being friendly with strangers but isn't all warm and fuzzy with them in general (he would prefer if they don't handle him even though he doesn't look scared of strangers).

YEP.

I'M A PAIR BOND BIRD. I'M OUT ON AN ADVENTURE WITH MY PERSON... I LOVE GOING ON ADVENTURES WITH MY PERSON. NOT TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING... I'M SURE YOU'RE VERY NICE AND ALL, AND IF YOU WANT TO SCRATCH MY HEAD OR SOMETHING, AND YOU'RE NOT TOO FORWARD, I'LL ALLOW IT...

BUT I HAVE A PERSON. AND IT ISN'T YOU. AND ACTUALLY, WE'RE GOING TO GO ADVENTURING NOW, NICE MEETING YOU... COME ON... ADVENTURE AWAITS!

It's kinda like that...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Unless it's Maggie, on laundry day...

Maggie on laundry day isn't so much going out adventuring, as it is MY EXCLUSIVE TIME OUTSIDE WITH DAD... AND PART OF MY EVERY WEEK ROUTINE...

God forbid the weather is bad, and I load up the car with clothes without her...

WAIT! WHAT?! I'M NOT COMING?!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I took Sydney into work a few times when I worked for a certain pet-supply-store. Had his picture taken with Santa (I was running the event, they threw a hissy fit when I brought Sydney on my break, even though I paid for the picture that I took with my own camera!) and the person who was Santa (my coworker husband) threatened to walk out when they took me off picture duty and yelled at me for my bird, but that's a whole other story!

I used to take my SunDay out on walks down the bike trail/forested area where my old apartment was, she was great with the harness, but never left my side anyway. I'd really like to get my other birds out, though it's getting colder now so I'll have to wait for spring unless we're going anywhere inside!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I took Sydney into work a few times when I worked for a certain pet-supply-store. Had his picture taken with Santa (I was running the event, they threw a hissy fit when I brought Sydney on my break, even though I paid for the picture that I took with my own camera!) and the person who was Santa (my coworker husband) threatened to walk out when they took me off picture duty and yelled at me for my bird, but that's a whole other story!

I used to take my SunDay out on walks down the bike trail/forested area where my old apartment was, she was great with the harness, but never left my side anyway. I'd really like to get my other birds out, though it's getting colder now so I'll have to wait for spring unless we're going anywhere inside!

I brought Gil to my work Christmas luncheon. He also sat with Santa for a photo. Santa was scared of him I think. haha

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
Just wanted to throw out my experience, although it seems my posts are developing a common theme of using non-parrot examples! Sorry guys, my life is a bit of a zoo.

Before my pair of sugar gliders passed away of old age, I used to take them virtually everywhere except stores that carried open food like restaurants/grocery stores/supermarkets. They went out with me in a pouch and honestly most people didn't notice them. I did not avoid pet stores as they did not carry marsupials so I figured it was an acceptable risk. I would think a small bird on your shoulder would not be noticeable, obviously a larger parrot will attract attention so make sure both you and your bird are comfortable with others! My job involves daily interactions between animals and the public and it can be a mixed bag. Anyway, the only time people really gave "looks" was when the pouch I was carrying started "crabbing" aka making very loud irritated noises. Usually we got positive attention and people wanted to see our suggies, we were never thrown out of stores or approached in a negative way. That said, I would be especially cautious about other peoples' dogs and children!

When Greenleaf is calm enough and Eva is trusting enough I hope both of them will join me outside on harnesses or if not, in a Pak o Bird or similar carrier. Occasionally I bring one of them to work with me but that's a fairly animal friendly environment! :p

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

I brought Gil to my work Christmas luncheon. He also sat with Santa for a photo. Santa was scared of him I think. haha

Sydney tried to eat Santa's beard.

Attachments

• 1537938_10152037602577696_1503111338_o.jpg
    1537938_10152037602577696_1503111338_o.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 84

Most Reactions