Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so glad to hear that Apollo is now okay thank goodness. Back home and cleaned up :). I hope he gets back to normal ASAP!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm so sorry to hear a sick fur baby is having a rough go. When mine get like this I cook lean ground hamburger meat in chicken broth and rice. It's gentle on their tummies. I feed 1/2 cup servings at a time. I also put a cup of Gatorade in their water bowl to help with restoring essentials.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So glad he was able to come home yesterday, Shirre!!! :)

How is he this morning?

And hoping for the best for the lump the doctor discovered, too.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
He's doing wonderful this morning!

I just gave him all of his pills and breakfast ~Mishka has to be fed separately, but she got a little bit of chicken and rice mixed in her kibble. I'm not sure she ate at all yesterday because she was stressed out over Apollo being gone.

When I picked him up last night, the tech (this office has seen them since they were puppies) told me allllllll about his "adventures" during the day lol.

He pulled his IV out (on purpose) and then when she opened the kennel to fix it he tried to jump OUT OVER her (lmbo) but how on earth she managed to catch an 80 lb flying dog is beyond me. She got him hooked back up.... Then later he decided he still didn't want an IV and somehow wiggled his snout through the bars and chewed the line lol so then she had to replace it AGAIN. But they could tell when he was feeling much better-- he looked (and smelled) horrible when I took him in.

He's got a battery of meds to take every day, and yesterday cost me all my limbs --but it was so worth it because my baby boy is alive and well. [emoji41]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
There's the Apollo-bear!!!!! :smile015: So now that he's had a bath and is feeling better, please roll him over and give him LOTS and LOTS of belly rubs from Aunty Wendy!!! :D

....and I'm so sorry for this sudden and unexpected cost, Shirre!! I hope your limbs re-grow fairly quickly??? :32:

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh yeah-- I'm covered in dog hair right now because I spent quite a while just snuggling him and giving him scratches all over. Lol and of course passing along all the belly scratches from everyone who's been rooting for him [emoji173]️

I think it'll take about 18 months for my limbs to re-grow, but it was worth it!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I just talked to the vet tech about the lump on his side--- it's a benign lipoma, so I'll have to keep an eye on it, but other than that he's in the clear [emoji41]

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
So happy to hear that Apollo is okay and home with you!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wonderful news, Shirre! I am so glad that he is home, and doing better, and that the lump is nothing serious.
Sounds like he had quite the adventure yesterday with the vet tech.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great to hear Shirre! I'm so glad that Apollo is back to feeling good, and the lump is benign. :) Cute pic.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I am so sorry I'm just seeing this, Shirre! But I'm so glad that everything has turned out okay. Poor Apollo!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Sweet photo! I'm so glad to see this happy update! Give your pups a hug and scratches from Auntie Allee! Gypsy and Shelby send kisses, Sparkle sends a handshake, she's not really a hugger.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Shirre, how is Apollo today? Hoping he is still feeling better:)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Shirre, how is Apollo today? Hoping he is still feeling better:)

He's still doing good! He was just complaining about being hungry --his new bland diet requires me to feed him three times a day....anything less and I'd have to listen to a howling 80lb baby all day lol mishka is a bit annoyed that Apollo gets special meals, so last night I soaked her kibble in hot water, drained, and let cool till warm --she thought she was getting a special meal too! Lol

But! No more vomiting or diarrhea and he seems to be feeling better today- yesterday I could tell he was still feeling pretty crummy.

And I'm just happy that his lipoma is benign! I'm still celebrating that news lol.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great to hear Apollo is visibly feeling better today :). ROTFL at you being able to trick Mishka into thinking she got a special meal too!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
What a relief, so glad to hear it's benign! I was feeling nervous for you, all the way over here! Love the way you gave Mishka her special treat...must remember that one ;)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Just catching up with this, Shirre. So sorry Apollo had a bout with a terrible illness, but glad he is doing much better. Hope the lipoma remains benign. He is a very handsome boy!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts