Keeping a bird from chewing hair?

Tmesis

May 30, 2009
California
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named Rickie.
I have long hair, razored into short and long layers...and i dyed the tips of all the layers a bright orange (i have brown hair). And now my bird just keeps trying to chew my hair, and i am out of ideas on how to keep him from doing that. Even putting my hair into a bun to hide some of the bright dye still doesnt help much...I've tried what i usually try, which is verbally saying "no" and praising when he listens (which is how i trained him to do most everything he knows), but lately it hasnt been working... And i care about my bird with my life, but sometimes you do something for yourself (such as dying hair), and i just need some help getting Rickie (my senegal) used to the new color so he would stop trying to chew it. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

OP
Tmesis

Tmesis

May 30, 2009
California
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named Rickie.
Hm, maybe some construction paper in the same bright orange? My bird doesn't eat what he chews (other than food), so i dont think it would be hazardous. Is that alright?

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Hm, maybe some construction paper in the same bright orange? My bird doesn't eat what he chews (other than food), so i dont think it would be hazardous. Is that alright?

I think it would be fine, my baby grey's favorite toys are not the nice expensive ones sitting in his cage but are instead paper towel and toilet paper roll. He shreds them to bits but he doesn't eat them. Big mess but it makes him happy so I'm sure your suggestion would be fine. My little one used to chew my hair also so I'm sure if you take AD's advice and provide something with the same colour he will stop with a little positive reinforcement.

Good luck

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Some people may have legitimate concerns about the die used in some colored paper, but if he's not making a meal out of it I don't think that would be much of a concern. Considering how many kids put such things in their mouth I'm sure there are colored papers on the market with safe dies.

Jez

May 19, 2009
NY
I think construction paper would be ok.
Like said, kids put everything in their mouth, so they'd have to make it pretty safe.
If not, you can try getting some safe paper and putting food coloring on it.

Most Reactions