rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
2 large macaws 1 CAG, 1 mini macaw, 1 amazon, 1 cockatoo
How old is your lizard ?

What diet do you feed him?

What kind of lighting do you use?

I am curious because I also have a Bearded Dragon:)

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
It's not my bearded dragon, it's my 7 year old nephews. (I have an iguana, though)
They believe she is a little over a year old and they are feeding her gut loaded/powdered crickets and veggies/greens. I told them to try to get those superworms Tracy was talking about and my brother is seeing if he can find them.
He has a heat lamp over the tank and he has my natural sunlight fluorescent fixture as well. (can't remember the name of it)
They have only had her for about 1 week now.

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
Sorry I was talking to Tracy842 about her sick lizard.

Flyte - From what I understand and have read is that meal worms can cause impaction on beardies. Bearded dragons eat more crickets (insects) when they are younger but as adults they eat more greens.

I suggest lots of veggies & greens , Kale, bok choy, brocoli, carrots etc. plus insects, crickets, cockroaches etc. along with a good UV light. T-Rex makes a good mercury vapor lamp that has UVA and UVB.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Sorry, I thought you were asking me:p
I would never give meal worms to a lizard. Had one die because they tried to eat their way out.

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Puff is almost 2 years old.
He is on a diet of about 60% veggies and 40% insects. Veggies he is fed include lettuce, kale, spinach, arugula, raddiciho, peas, mustard greens, collard greens, and carrots. I know not much nutrients from lettuce but this is where he gets his water. I also spray his veggies with water. He is currently eating super worms and butter worms. I mainly have him eating worms because they are about 40% water and I'm still flushing his system, so the more fluids the better. He will be going back on crickets this week which he is fed the dead freeze dried ones. He prefers these over live crickets.
I have 2 lamps for lighting. One is a heat light on one side of the tank and a hood lamp with UVA and UVB in the middle of the tank.

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots

RSRosey

Feb 6, 2008
Media
Those are good articles and resourses.

I think that Spinach and Kale should be used sparingly because it can bind calcium. I use mustard greens, collard greens, butternut squash, acorn squash, (basically any type of squash) as the staple then add some extra veggies for variety. I also give grapes or bananas as treats. They are also not to have citrus.

Crickets, roaches and silkworms are the staple insects of choice.

Mealworms have to much chitin, the hard shell. Superworms can be addictive for BD and are high in fat. (Also higher in chitin than crickets) I give Phoniex worms as treats. My BD is only 8 months old. So he is still on mostly protein. He is eating more salad but not to the 80% 20% yet. Adult BDs should get 80% of their diet from vegetation and 20% from protein sorces.

That Calisand that the article talks about is what our pet shop talked my son into....I didn't let him use it because I thought I had read it was a NO NO. We talked to our vet and she said absolutely NOT. She recomended repticarpet but we opted for ceramic tiles. I am getting ready to redo his home. I will have to buy him new tiles and some decor (vines and wood...etc)

I hope Puff is doing better and continues to do well.

I hope that the new Puff does well as well.

BD shouldn't be housed together.

Rhonda

Most Reactions

Latest posts