Kenai and i had an opps

drew92

Feb 21, 2012
Media
suffolk, virginia. usa
Parrots
Greenwing macaw-Kenai
Well Saturday i went and visited my fid at the breeder. I found out he is weaned. Yay!!! (Crud) i was basing all the plans on him weaning around 6 months not 4 and a half. So i will have to wait just a little bit longer. Back to the real story. Well i got bit by Kenai twice that day. Neither where all that bad first was on the lip bit i think that one was because he got freaked out by the mobrella2. And the second time i believe i gave him to many scrichies and ended up overstimulating him and he took a chunk out of my finger. All this coupled withe the fact he is still learning how much pressure to use and how sorry he looked afterwords lets me know he didnt really mean it.
Ps. He has finally learned that toys are for chewing and destroying. So cute:red1:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wow he weaned early! You must be SO excited.

Now dumb question: What is a "mobrella2"? :confused: I'm guessing: Umbrella Cockatoo???

AAW, I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you. They just don't know what their ginormous beaks are capable of. :)

OP
drew92

drew92

Feb 21, 2012
Media
suffolk, virginia. usa
Parrots
Greenwing macaw-Kenai
The mobrella is a cross between a molocan (sp) and an umbrella too. And almost the size of my gw Kenai.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
It appears that Kenai has entered the stage where he's experimenting with his beak's capability. And you're right that he has to learn how much pressure he can/should use in certain situations. The more you handle him, the sooner he'll learn where the threshold lies. When he does, hopefully he'll decide to stay below it ;)

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Congrats on your new baby GW. Yes, your GW did wean pretty early but remember some baby GW can regress like mine did at 9 months old.
As far as the biting issue, this is the baby testing out their beaks and can give a very strong bite. You will need to preasure teach them. I used two fingers, placed them into the Macaws mouth, once they began to bite down, I would open both fingers one at the top inside the beak and the 2nd finger at the bottom. When pressing against them biting down teaches them what is excepted and what is not. When they release, give a treat and tell them what a good bird they are. do this over and over again and you should not have biting issues. Best of luck Joe

OP
drew92

drew92

Feb 21, 2012
Media
suffolk, virginia. usa
Parrots
Greenwing macaw-Kenai
Thanks for that input ill use it when he comes home. Im keeping him at the breeders till end of nov. That should give me the time to get the last things ready( laminate floors, plexyglass around where the cage is... toys,toys, perches, and also a pressure washer.

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
The mobrella is a cross between a molocan (sp) and an umbrella too. And almost the size of my gw Kenai.

You know, I have NEVER given it a thought that Cockatoos would hybridize between species! I guess there is no good reason why they would not! With your list of things to get include a Shop Vac with a hose big enough for walnut shells

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
You know, I have NEVER given it a thought that Cockatoos would hybridize between species! I guess there is no good reason why they would not!

And if someone ever gets Macaws to interbreed with Cockatoos I suppose we'll then have a few "Macacatoos" ("Macawcatoos"?) and/or "Cockacaws" around here and there :03:. I wonder what such a creature might look like?? Perhaps something like "Blu" from Rio... despite the fact he was supposed to be a Spix's Macaw, and the fact he was a cartoon character, he had that crest-like feathering hanging behind his head and his cartoon beak was kind of Cockatoo-ish looking :20:

OP
drew92

drew92

Feb 21, 2012
Media
suffolk, virginia. usa
Parrots
Greenwing macaw-Kenai

You know, I have NEVER given it a thought that Cockatoos would hybridize between species! I guess there is no good reason why they would not! With your list of things to get include a Shop Vac with a hose big enough for walnut shells

Lol i already have that thou i probably woldnt use it its loud enough to hurt my ears in openair i wont subject my fid to that

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
Perhaps something like "Blu" from Rio... despite the fact he was supposed to be a Spix's Macaw, and the fact he was a cartoon character, he had that crest-like feathering hanging behind his head and his cartoon beak was kind of Cockatoo-ish looking :20:

I wondered what Blu was meant to be I thought he was supposed to be a HY and the artist had left out the yellow bits by mistake.. LOL He looks more like a HY than a Sphinx. Silly Cartoon people.

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
Congrats on your new baby GW. Yes, your GW did wean pretty early but remember some baby GW can regress like mine did at 9 months old.
As far as the biting issue, this is the baby testing out their beaks and can give a very strong bite. You will need to preasure teach them. I used two fingers, placed them into the Macaws mouth, once they began to bite down, I would open both fingers one at the top inside the beak and the 2nd finger at the bottom. When pressing against them biting down teaches them what is excepted and what is not. When they release, give a treat and tell them what a good bird they are. do this over and over again and you should not have biting issues. Best of luck Joe

Joe,
Please explain your bite training method some more, not sure I get it.

Thanks

Most Reactions