Kenji vet visit soon, how not to destroy our relationship

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Last few weeks Kenji and I have been doing awesome, I can give him head scratches and I'm not afraid of his beak when he grabs my fingers. Kenji also gets excited to see me when I get home from work, and wants to interact with me. Earlier in the week one of Kenji's nares was a little runny for 3 minutes, so I decided I better be save than sorry and made a appointment at my preferred avian vet. I plan to have a basic check up to look him over, a gram stain, and ask if the vet has any concerns she feels should also be tested. I may also inquire to how much a DNA sexing would be.

I'm afraid that this vet visit is going to destroy his trust in me. I need help thinking of ideas to make this less stressful for him. I havn't been able to do any crate training yet, as I'm still struggling with his step up training from his cage.

My plan is to place some treats in the middle of my room and wait for him to climb down and eat them. Once he's had a few I'll then walk over and hope he steps up rather than race back to his cage. I then will take him into another room where I'll have his crate, I'm hoping he'll just walk in but I find that unlikely since h shows a fear reaponse whenever I move it. I would hate to have to restrain him to get him in :(

How does that basic plan sound so far? Anyone have tips on how to make it better? Or to have the 25 minute car ride be less stressful?

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
I still can't handle Charlie, but she has had to go to the vet several time due to some wheezing issues. I have had to towel her every time. But I have found that we are still in the same place after, she will still come to me for treats and interact with me the same as she did before. I think even if you have to towel him he will still trust you after, but he may hate the towel

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ashley, what type of carrier do you have??

If Kenji steps up, could you possibly walk backwards with him - slowly - and then place him in the carrier backwards? (That's how I get Ripley in his carrier...backwards)

When is your appointment scheduled?

Once Kenji is in the carrier, I think he will be fine. Perhaps not very happy, but fine enough for the car ride. I would let your AV and staff do all the handling, so Kenji won't associate any of that with you. :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I had sent a message his first parronts on facebook, they gave me some info that isn't promising :( so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Rosie's always been a excellent traver so I haven't had any of those issues before.

"Unfortunately, Don was never successful in getting Kenji in the carrier without toweling. He would put the carrier in the room, sometimes a day in advance to get Kenji used to seeing it. Then, he would wait until Kenji came down off the cage, towel him, and carefully put Kenji and the towel into the carrier. Needless to say, going into the carrier does stress Kenji, especially since he only went to the vet in the carrier. And, he will sulk for awhile afterwards, but does seem to recover within a few hours.

Wish we could give you some better advice. It's been tough for Kenji since he was so traumatized by Don's ex when she stormed through the house when she moved out. "

Last edited:
OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Ashley, what type of carrier do you have??

If Kenji steps up, could you possibly walk backwards with him - slowly - and then place him in the carrier backwards? (That's how I get Ripley in his carrier...backwards)

When is your appointment scheduled?

Once Kenji is in the carrier, I think he will be fine. Perhaps not very happy, but fine enough for the car ride. I would let your AV and staff do all the handling, so Kenji won't associate any of that with you. :)
Backwards seems like a good idea to try :) the carrier is one of those hard plastic crates. In the future I'm planning to buy a avian adventures crate/travel cage for him, as it's more cagelike in appearance.

His vet visit is on Wednesday. I will let them handle him, don't want him to think I'm the bad one lol

Thank you so much!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I still can't handle Charlie, but she has had to go to the vet several time due to some wheezing issues. I have had to towel her every time. But I have found that we are still in the same place after, she will still come to me for treats and interact with me the same as she did before. I think even if you have to towel him he will still trust you after, but he may hate the towel

That's great to know things don't get bad for you and Charlie, hopefully Kenji will be the same

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Good luck! Honestly I am surprised how well they are able to handle the birds. They have so much experience with so many birds. My birds really haven't minded vet visits at all and seem no worse for it! I always come home with new toys too. We'll keep Kenji in our thoughts.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
When we first got Bosley we needed to take him to the vet and I was so scared of breaking trust just like you.

The method I decided on was to try and lure him into the carrier with treats, didn't work LOL but what did help was that he had a treat in it and he saw the carrier. I had him just outside of it and was talking to him, I quickly towlled him and got him in. make it quick it helps.

I also had someone else drive so I could scritch his head and talk to him on the way.
Once at the vet, I had the vet do all the towelling etc.
Bosley was so happy to be home, if anything it brought us closer together. Bring favorite treats!!!

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Have. Him sleep in the carrier for the next couple of nights if you can Or get an entirely different kind of carrier if he doesn't like that on.... I went through three before we found on Porter was comfortable in.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You're overthinking it.

When the vet gets done with him, this is your opportunity to be the hero.

Treats, scritchies, and sympathy.

I took five to the vet last weekend.

One on each hand, one on my shoulder, and one on each of my daughter's hands.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You're overthinking it.

When the vet gets done with him, this is your opportunity to be the hero.

Treats, scritchies, and sympathy.

I took five to the vet last weekend.

One on each hand, one on my shoulder, and one on each of my daughter's hands.
That's a great way to think of it :) Hopefully I can achieve that with Kenji. Rosie seems to always feel that way, whenever the vet's assistant places her back on the examination table after being toweled(and the mist misting her with some rain to cool her down) she always runs to me.

I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow, will probably take some photos and video too for Kenji's blog that I made for his original parronts.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Good luck with the visit :) vet visits suck, but he'll be very happy to come home when it's over. Keep us posted!

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Just be calm during the visit, everything will be fine.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
How'd it go?

Travel cage training is top of my list for all my pets. Should they get sick I don't want them to get further stressed out going into the carrier to get to the vets. With my birds I have them set up as mini cages in other rooms and they get put in there every so often & taken out into the sun. Bunnys get used to it as it's left on the floor for them to explore often etc. I hope this visit went well and you guys can work on desensitising Kenji to the carrier. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts