Keurig Coffee Makers

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
I am planning on getting a Keurig coffee maker (with the K-cup pods). Is there any danger to the bird when the K-cup pods get heated in the coffee making process?

I just want to make sure there is no danger for my bird. The coffee maker will be in the kitchen and my bird is in the family room which is in close proximity.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Nope no danger.

That aside, you might reconsider. What many have found with the keurigs that the coffee is watered down. You canā€™t make more than an 8 oz without some watery tasting coffee. I have one, a nice one, and Iā€™m debating going to a standard drip machine.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Keurigs are very overpriced too.. the pots are just a lot for not much. Better to just make your own coffee with a drip machine tbh

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Iā€™ll argue the other side. Depending on your Keurig, it should have a ā€œstrongā€ option, and there is a wide variety of k-cups available so you can get a boldness you like. I like my coffee very dark and strong, and I use a Keurig at work with satisfaction. Also, for you ā€œjust use drip coffee makerā€ folks-I live alone and drink 1-2 cups a day. Drip means a lot of waste so a single cup coffee maker is a lot more sensible for me.

Full disclosure: I donā€™t have a Keurig at home; I have a Starbucks Verismo because I want a machine that will make espresso and coffee. And most days I use my moka pot because itā€™s cheaper to make my 2 shots of espresso that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

The strong option is simply a small cup, 6 oz. for those who want a larger cup, you begin to sacrifice taste for volume.

OP
LauraC

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
It is actually for my father who is 88 years old. I was looking for something simple that he could use fairly easily. I donā€™t drink coffee myself. I think it will work fine for his needs but thank you all for your feedback. My concern was if there was an odor from the K-cups during the brewing process.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
The strong option is simply a small cup, 6 oz. for those who want a larger cup, you begin to sacrifice taste for volume.

You may have a different version of Keurig. The one at work has a place to choose ā€œstrongā€ and then it brews slower, which I assume gives the water more time to soak up the coffee goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I have to say that I'm torn on this topic myself, and have been for years...yes, years...it's been an epic battle between myself and the Keurig machines, reminiscent of "The Terminator"...

I bought an expensive, red Krupps Keurig machine first, and it died in 2 years, then I bought another expensive replacement on eBay, and it died in a year. So I said "**** this", and bought a $30 Keurig at Walmart...and it died on me in a few months, as if it was flipping me off and saying "it doesn't matter how much you spend, we're going to win!" During this time I was obviously buying a lot of coffee at McDonalds, and my caffeine addiction was becoming obvious. So I then decided to buy a small machine that brews both Keurig pods and ground coffee, thinking I could trick the Keurig gods, but they were too powerful for me to tackle, as the thing got clogged-up in a month, and after I took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together, it no longer worked.

I now have a Keurig-Graveyard in my shed, I should take a photo of it...it's both hilarious and pathetically sad...

I now own a Mr. Coffee with an old-school carafe, and we've been together for quite a while with no issues...damn the Keurigs!

Last edited:

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I have to say that I'm torn on this topic myself, and have been for years...yes, years...it's been an epic battle between myself and the Keurig machines, reminiscent of "The Terminator"...

I bought an expensive, red Krupps Keurig machine first, and it died in 2 years, then I bought another expensive replacement on eBay, and it died in a year. So I said "**** this", and bought a $30 Keurig at Walmart...and it died on me in a few months, as if it was flipping me off and saying "it doesn't matter how much you spend, we're going to win!" During this time I was obviously buying a lot of coffee at McDonalds, and my caffeine addiction was becoming obvious. So I then decided to buy a small machine that brews both Keurig pods and ground coffee, thinking I could trick the Keurig gods, but they were too powerful for me to tackle, as the thing got clogged-up in a month, and after I took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together, it no longer worked.

I now have a Keurig-Graveyard in my shed, I should take a photo of it...it's both hilarious and pathetically sad...

I now own a Mr. Coffee with an old-school carafe, and we've been together for quite a while with no issues...damn the Keurigs!

Certainly you have enough parts to make a working keurig now!

I have the kueriq 2.0 and the options are great and its very easy to use. We use ours everyday. I bought it used for like $40 and it's been great.

I haven't really thought about it, but anything with a heating element has a chance of having harmful chemicals. The good thing about them is, you can't adjust the temp (unsafe temps anyways) like on a stove where you can overheat it and leak those chemicals into the air. I would imagine, that perhaps coffee makers can have this chemical BUT since it is only designed for heating WATER maybe they leave the heating elements exposed without any protective coating. Never thought about my coffee maker.... good question but in my experience I don't think there is must of a risk. As much risk as the risk is for fire I guess?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I like the Keurig.

My wife and I like our coffee blended differently. I like dark roast and she likes a lighter brew.

using a drip coffee maker means one of us is disappointed.

It could be using a coffee press might be cheaper but it's a lot of fiddling too do, especially in the morning when your just waking up. The Keurig was an ideal solution.

and it does not bother or effect the birds :)

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
My husband bought me this coffee machine for Christmas one year, it was very generous of him and not something I'd buy for myself. You push a button and it freshly grinds the beans and perfectly makes the coffee drink of your choice. So obviously I'll never be able to go back to a regular coffee maker now. But before that I had a Krups coffeemaker and that made a pretty good cup of coffee. My review on this coffee maker is that I've been married for 25 years and it's the best thing he's ever done. And it's bird safe.

y4SG8AMl.jpg

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Wow that IS generous! Just googled it!:$

I love how this has devolved into a coffee thread. Sorry LauraC, I donā€™t think anybody saw that coming :D

OP
LauraC

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Wow that IS generous! Just googled it!:$

I love how this has devolved into a coffee thread. Sorry LauraC, I donā€™t think anybody saw that coming :D

Itā€™s ok! I am learning more than I ever thought I would about coffee. I never acquired the tast for it. The closest I come is a McDonaldā€™s frappe.

Most Reactions