Kiwi itching

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
Every time I look at kiwi he seems to be itching under his wing and he's always using his beak but some times his feet and he is always stretching too. Is this something I should be concerned ab. A possible molt???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Could be hormones. My Hawk Head when horny will put her head under her wing and make faux regurgitation motions with her head, almost looks like she's scratching with her beak.....she's horny a lot ;0

As for stretching, Nike often stretches right before she steps up...mostly when she's unsure if she wants to step up or not....kinda like a delaying tactic ;)

I'm not saying that this is what's going on with your bird, just my experiences with the same behavior. Next time she scratches with her beak, look closely and see if she's just regurgitating. As for stretching, Nike does that multiple times a day and it's normal for her.

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
Could be hormones. My Hawk Head when horny will put her head under her wing and make faux regurgitation motions with her head, almost looks like she's scratching with her beak.....she's horny a lot ;0

As for stretching, Nike often stretches right before she steps up...mostly when she's unsure if she wants to step up or not....kinda like a delaying tactic ;)

I'm not saying that this is what's going on with your bird, just my experiences with the same behavior. Next time she scratches with her beak, look closely and see if she's just regurgitating. As for stretching, Nike does that multiple times a day and it's normal for her.

Thanks for this but I mean that kiwi is constantly scratching and stretching his wings so I'm really not sure what it could be you might be right

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Yea, if Kiwi is doing it constantly there might be something else up. Is it under the same wing she scratches of both? I have never seen that behavior with Nike during her molts.

does Kiwi bath often enough, I wonder if it could be dry winter skin??

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
Yea, if Kiwi is doing it constantly there might be something else up. Is it under the same wing she scratches of both? I have never seen that behavior with Nike during her molts.

does Kiwi bath often enough, I wonder if it could be dry winter skin??

I try to spray shower him almost one a week but that could be it I'll try more
Thanks

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I know Budgies ('keet's) are prone to mites also. You might want to consider taking Kiwi to an AVIAN vet for a check-up. Years ago when I was just a kid,my Gramma's 'keet had the biting/scratching thing,to where he CHEWED his little toe-zee's off from one foot because of them :eek:
I wouldn't want to hear little Kiwi go thru something like that!
Just a suggestion here..

Jim

Most Reactions