Knuckles update...

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hi all.

So I woke up early and had a good hour or so of alone time with Knuckles. It went quite well. I gave her a grape, which she really likes, and a wooden bead, which she chewed for a while. I got her used to the clicker, and even began to target her a little.

She is fearful of EVERYTHING. I am accommodating her by moving slowly in her presence, and speaking extra soft to her. If she doesn't respond, or seem to want to do something, I don't push her, and am extra patient. She is SUPER aware of her surroundings, and I stop whatever were doing, and talk to her every time a car drives down the street, because it seems to concern her. I guess her cage feels safe for her, because since I put her back in (after our alone time this morning) she has not wanted to come back out.

Slow is the way to go with this little one, I guess :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
This is only Knuckle's second day, right? You have a LIFETIME together, so just go as slow as she needs you to go. :)

There is NO doubt in my mind that she will completely come around. Everything is just new for her right now, and I think that is why she lashed out on you yesterday. (How's that boo-boo doing??)

Before you know it she'll be a well trained, well adjusted young lady, and not a shoulder-$%^&&, what you lovingly called her yesterday. BHAHAHAHAH!!! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so excited to hear that it went well this morning! I am sure it is going to continue to get better as she settles in and loses some of her fear of everything new around her.
I am so happy for you:)

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
Glad to hear you are doing better today!
Its great she found you (and you found her), who knows what she needs and is willing to work with her at her own pace!

I can't wait to hear how your progress goes!
Enjoy her!

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I do feel for you, and I can totally relate: I was so exited to be bringing Alice home last year, had been visiting her for months and was convinced we already had a bond, and the first day was an absolute disaster! In the hope it cheers you up, I'll share the story:

The minute I opened the carrier she shot up my arm and lodged herself on my shoulder, which would have been less of an issue had the shop thought to suggest I took the cage home and set it up before collecting her. Any attempt to dislodge her was fruitless as she'd scuttle into the small of my back. Building the cage with bird on board was hopeless - she'd hit a point of panic where she'd try to fly away, except her wings had been butchered with a horrible one sided clip so she'd make it a couple of feet then lose balance and crash: first time into the spokes of my bike, second time into the cat, who fortunately assumed a bizarre pink falcon was attacking her and beat a hasty retreat. Fast approaching the point of panic myself, I phoned a friend to come round and build the cage, and eventually got her into it by climbing in myself with her on my shoulder and backing out in such a way she was forced to climb onto the bars. By that time she'd been gripping onto me for over four hours and my shoulder was cut to ribbons!

As soon as the cage door was closed she calmed down - I now think she rarely got taken out of her cage by her previous owners. After a few days I had her coming out for long enough to enjoy a few bites of millet, and we quickly bonded again. She's still a very fearful bird, and those first few months any number of innocuous things would reduce her to a trembling wreck at the top of the cage. But as her trust in me and her familiarity with her new surroundings grew she quickly started to come out of her shell, and she's still getting a little better with each month.

So, I've learned the hard way things don't always work as you hope for... and that's without going into the other issues that plagued the first few weeks, where I panicked at the slightest sign of a problem. There were many "What have I done" moments in those weeks - but so, so worth it!

Anyway, fingers crossed things start to get better - they sound like they already are doing.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Awww, I'm glad for you that things are going well! However, I must say I am less than impressed that your update excludes an updated pic :(. Shame on you! ;)

You KNOW we all want to see her! :)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
HHAAAAA!
Thanks for your story Jayyj. I love that you got into the bird cage!
Percy Momma, you are absolutely correct. I apologize for not sending photos. I cant do it from my phone, but will do it from the computer :)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
While I was at work yesterday, Knucky got to spend some time with her dad. He sends me pictures of all of our birdy babies while I'm at work, to make me smile :)

Attachments

• Knucky 1 1282014.jpg
    Knucky 1 1282014.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 239
  • Knucky 2 1282014.jpg
    Knucky 2 1282014.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Knucky 3 12814.jpg
    Knucky 3 12814.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 229

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
She is so gorgeous! There is just something about the beautiful white of a cockatoo that I love!!!

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
aww i love her! she looks like she is going to be a total sweetheart!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Knuckles is beautiful!!! It was love at first sight, wasn't it?

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
HHAAAAA!
Thanks for your story Jayyj. I love that you got into the bird cage!
Percy Momma, you are absolutely correct. I apologize for not sending photos. I cant do it from my phone, but will do it from the computer :)

I must admit, when people told me to get the biggest cage possible it didn't occur to me I'd need to fit inside it myself...

She looks gorgeous, anyway!

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Totally! For me, anyway. I think she prefers my boyfriend :)

Most Reactions