Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Just thought I'd share a little video from October :) and give everyone an update!

Kyo and I are well, I still love her more than words can express and we spend lots of time at my mom's place where she can be free to fly around the whole place and not worry about cats. I have started at two new jobs since I was here last, and it has made finding time a bit more challenging, but we are in slow season now. My mom has truly been a miracle in that sense, she's been looking after my girl a lot on the weeks that I work a lot of doubles. Kyo is actually adjusting very very well though! She is very happy and healthy. I do really love my jobs and I'm glad it's working out and that she isn't stressed. If anything, she seems happier because she loves going in the car and seems to just be really happy to see me in general.

Her biting has improved SO much over the last year (I can't believe it's been almost 2 years that we've had her!!) and she is just overall such a cute little quirky baby. She has come around a bit to my husband, but still wants to be the boss of him and will nip. But she hasn't drawn blood in a very long time.

I'm glad we got the canary, even though the circumstances weren't the best (he was my grandfathers). They really seem to keep each other company, even in separate cages. She sometimes tries to mimic him now and it's a hilarious garble that almost sounds like a herd of Gremlins.

In other news, our only certified avian vet in Halifax NS has stopped seeing birds. :( it's such a shame, as the office was literally a 5 min drive from my house. We do have one reputable vet who is great for basics like nail trims, and he has had birds for years and is working on his certification, so he is our next best option. He loves Kyo and thinks she's in great health, so we will stay with him for now and see how it goes. One thing I do really like about him is he doesn't bull**** - if he doesn't know something he will consult with another vet who does - and he truly cares about the animals he sees. He also doesn't push Harrison's and prefers a varied diet with mostly FRESH foods.

I quit my original job due to the stress it caused me. I was getting awful shifts, with people who were only working there 3 months getting the best shifts (I was there 4 years) and I got tired of being bossed around and treated like I was disposable. I managed to find a job working evenings at of all places, an adult novelty store, and a week later landed another job doing dinner service at a hotel restaurant.

I really started to love the new jobs and the adult store was willing to work around my other job at the hotel restaurant, so I quit the job I will refer to as "hell" and I've been happily employed with BENEFITS ever since. Best decision I've ever made. It's so nice to work for employers that actually VALUE their employees. I am overall sooo happy. It's really tempting to add another fid to our flock, where I have the finances, but lack the time unfortunately... but maybe someday :)

Finally, I've been having one hell of a time getting my application for my permanent resident card renewal done. That has consumed a lot of my time. If anyone else is a Canadian PR, I feel your pain!! This whole keeping track of travelling for the last 5 years has been a nightmare. I can't wait till it's DONE.

Anyways, here is the video!!
[ame="https://youtu.be/dCdD3uTxXyE"]Kyo in October - YouTube[/ame]

Other than me starting two new jobs, and trying to not be an illegal alien, that's about it! I missed you guys and hope to find a few more mins here and there to post. <3

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Cute! Adorable. All I want to do is give hugs. Oh, and the parrot is nice, too!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi Sarah :) good to hear the nice update on Kyo and your busy new life. Adorable video. I'm glad things are going so well with Kyo, and that your mom is such a great help. Good luck with everything.

Most Reactions

Latest posts