Large outdoor play area

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
Hi guys I'm hoping you can offer me some advice as I want to build my birds a outdoor play area. I cannot build anything permanent AT&T his time as I am currently renting. I do however have a covered terrace. I'm looking for something similar to this Mosquito Netting | Screen Porch & Patio Enclosures Kits. To be able to close off the area securely when I'm with my birds outside yet be able to open it when we are inside. This also would control the Mosquitos. Any recommendations for me? Thanks a million.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The type of mosquito netting you are talking about won't hold a big mac in. They'll rip through that like a piece of paper. Sorry. :(

Mine even rip through heavy duty window screen if I don't move their Java trees far enough away from the window. :54:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They will chew threw it

IN SECONDS...

What I have heard people do is to get pre-fab aviary panels and attach them to a carport frame to create an outdoor flight that is easily taken down and moved...

But netting doesn't work with those beaks.

Heisenburd

Jan 6, 2014
IL
Parrots
Tilly; Blue and Gold Macaw
Guido; Congo Grey
What about dog kennel panels? The six by six chain link panels they sell at farm stores? They are easy to set up, and easy to take down. You'd just need to get a panel to place over top so they couldn't escape.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What about dog kennel panels? The six by six chain link panels they sell at farm stores? They are easy to set up, and easy to take down. You'd just need to get a panel to place over top so they couldn't escape.

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT GALVANIZED METAL FENCING IS UBER-TOXIC TO PARROTS, AND IF THEY CHEW ON IT THEY COULD GET SOMETHING CLOSELY RELATED TO MACAW WASTING DISEASE... You have to go with the aviary panels for exactly that reason. Never use galvanized metal fencing, or pressure treated wood!

But, yeah, it would be convenient, otherwise...

Last edited:
OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Hi guys they will only be out there when I'm out on their perches and hanging perches. It's only for occasional supervised use. It's more of security from them flying off to the street. I would also be able to open and close the curtains as I would need. Do you think it would work for what I need?

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Forgot to mention that I'm looking at the clear vinyl

Most Reactions

Latest posts