Lava stone

Leo1865

Mar 20, 2017
I have been looking for something to help with keeping my birds nails and beak filed down.

I have seen Lava stone perches and they also sell them for birds to keep their beaks trimmed.

I like to make most of my toys and perches. I was wondering if I could use lava stone that you get at the hardware store to make toys. I can't seem to find any information.

Linda
:blue::blue::white1::white1::grey:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Depends if it is man-made or natural. As you know, natural Lava covers a very wide range of surface types, stone weight and hardness. What you want to look for is how porous /open the surface is and how sharp the openings.

Man-made is commonly semi-smooth (no cutting edges) and little to non-porous.

Have fun /enjoy the project.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I know lavastones from my aquariumdays (reddish brown, lots of tiny/medium sized holes)- and since they are fun in the tank but can pose a risk to the fish with the sharp edges we always advised to file and sandpaper those down before using them.

If they break- the edges can be wicked sharp- so keep an eye on them.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I was going to say the same thing, go to any Petco and they sell both red and black lava stones in the aquarium section, they're in a bin and you can pick the ones you want.

Most Reactions