Learning restraint...

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
I have finally come to terms with the fact that I need to learn restraint. Every weekend I go to the two bird stores in the area and buy him new treats and 2-3 new toys. Today while rearranging his cage I realized I have this whole box full of toys that Ozzy has only used for two weeks before I rearranged his cage and put in new ones. Time to start reusing the old ones; its just so hard when they sell such cute ones! Does anyone else have this problem with restraint?

On second thought, maybe I should just buy a bigger cage... :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I take all those old toys and recycle them into new toys. Some parts of course are beyond the recycle point. I hardly ever buy bird toys now.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Remember, Ozzy doesn't really understand the concept of "brand new". If you take a beaten up toy out of his cage, and put it back in a month later, he thinks he's got a new toy. You don't have to beat yourself up for giving him old toys. Parrots aren't sentimental.

OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
Nofear- I understand that he doesnt remember, its more for me! I see cute toys and cant help myself. I think I have a slight shopping addiction (you should see my kids closets!)

Spirit- Thats a GREAT idea.. they sell chain and leather string at the bird store and I could take them apart and put them back together in different variations.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
You could also donate some of the "lightly used" toys to your local shelter, I am sure the birds there would appreciate them! And maybe the bunnies, or other small animals, too - depending on the toy. We had "parrot" toy - wooden blocks and balls with a bell on it - that we hung under our bed, and our bunny enjoyed both nibbling the wood and making the bell chime!

Most Reactions