Leather Cord

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Does anyone know where to get leather cord that is bird safe? I want to use it to make toys for the pretty chicken, but almost everything I've found is either not real leather, or it's been dyed. I am not sure what else to use as a "string" for toys. Anything less that really thick sisal, she seems to chew through before she gets to actually playing with the toy, and I don't want to have to use rope thicker than the wood for her toy. She has a few toys that I've bought that have the leather cord, and she doesn't seem to really chew that too much, so that's why I thought about just using that. Unless anyone has a better idea.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Get it from a bird site. mysafebirstore.com should have it, as would many others. California bird nerds is another good store for parts.

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Wow, I went on there and ordered some, but then I had to get off that site. I can't afford to look at that site for too long. I could almost hear my bank account telling me to back away slowly...so many neat things...must have them all...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Shopping online for parrot toys and parts is rather addictive, laughing out loud at, back away slowly. Leather strips make great, longer lasting toys, some parrots like to untie knots.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wow, I went on there and ordered some, but then I had to get off that site. I can't afford to look at that site for too long. I could almost hear my bank account telling me to back away slowly...so many neat things...must have them all...

It is terrible how addictive toy shopping for parrots can be! That's why I generally only place a few big orders once a year and never go to those sites otherwise:p. We have more toy parts here that I'd need for 50 birds:eek:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right? I look at any of those sites and think, WOW I have practically no toys for Salty, and he needs this, and that, and those, and some of them, and before you know it there goes next week's people food budget. Time to tighten belts , honey, Salty needs at least 5 foraging toys. What? We can't afford to put food INTO the foraging toys?
He he, at least his favorite pastime is not tearing toys apart, but eating!
He is having his after breakfast breakfast, bananas, blackberries and oat groats. I think this bird is half hobbit.

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Right? I look at any of those sites and think, WOW I have practically no toys for Salty, and he needs this, and that, and those, and some of them, and before you know it there goes next week's people food budget. Time to tighten belts , honey, Salty needs at least 5 foraging toys. What? We can't afford to put food INTO the foraging toys?
He he, at least his favorite pastime is not tearing toys apart, but eating!
He is having his after breakfast breakfast, bananas, blackberries and oat groats. I think this bird is half hobbit.
Yea, I know the feeling, it seems like the chicken has no toys looking at all they have to offer. Even though if I actually put all the toys she has in her cage, there would be no room left for the chicken... and that's not even touching what the little birds have. Of course, they have so many more because they play with their toys, she destroys hers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I've actually bought some good quality stuff off Etsy, there's a store that sells specifically stuff for birds and they're really good! Zackwhite.com is also very good but a little expensive, they have a specific section for bird toy leather, but I would assume their other vegetan leather is also safe (but I'd email them to be sure.)

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
I ordered some off mysafebirdstore and I was rather pleased with them. It was cheap, even with shipping, and they even sent the doggies some treats, us people some treats, and a few little birdie extras.

However, I don't know if it's necessarily just an act of kindness or if they know it will make a sucker for free stuff (like me) want to order more stuff 😁

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I love mysafebirdstore. I have ordered from them several times, and they are extremely reliable. I am always excited to open the package that they send me. Everything seems relatively cheap as well, and I wouldn't really complain about anything. Although sometimes the shipping can be a little pricy, I think that is the only thing that would be a con if I had to choose it.

I am ordering approximately two seagrass mats, some mysafebirdstore food blends, and then some acrylic beads and leather string.
And then off I go to drsfostersmith, Lol!

Most Reactions