Leaving a parrot unsupervised...

itsjoyceduh

Jun 9, 2015
California
Parrots
Bella the BFA
Hi everyone.

I would like to ask everyone their opinion. What is your opinion on leaving a bird unsupervised? I am pretty sure most the answer is not a good idea to leave a bird unsupervised and not safe.

I have a room that is just for my amazon. In this room will just be its cage and toys and play gym for him/her to play with. Now my mom wants to leave the cage open so that he/she wont be bored when we are at work since we will be wont be home until 7-8 pm. She doesn't want the bird to be locked up in cage for such a long time because she feels that it will be sad and bored. I would like to ask everyone's advice.

The room door will be closed, there is a window so fresh air will come in ( slightly opened). But I don't know if it will be safe for the bird to be out of its cage by itself. We will take him/ her out when we get home so that it can play and interact with the family.

So what do you guys think?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
It depends on the bird, but an entire room is difficult to make 100% bird-safe. Imagine coming home and she's chewed through the bottom of the door, and gotten into the rest of the house? Or chewed the slightly-open-window and escaped. Or a light fixture.. (you get the idea). As long as she has an appropriate-sized cage (enough to flap her wings and play- with a bit of extra space) she should be fine until someone can supervise her fun time. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
With precautions and depending on the bird I don't see why not. Some birds, like my mac, it would be a horrible idea no matter what precautions you took, but if I had a spare room it would be fine with my sennies.

OP
I

itsjoyceduh

Jun 9, 2015
California
Parrots
Bella the BFA
I see. My Amazon is still a baby so I guess I should observe him a little more to see how he is before I let him out alone .

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
My Illiger's is out and unsupervised for at least 5 hours per day with no problems. He will not leave his play area..

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
Well, some people have COMPLETE bird rooms. It is completely dedicated to their bird, and only their bird (or birds). You could hypothetically do the same, but instead, if possible, put a baby cam (usually come with a device that will let you see what's going on, you might have to bluetooth it) in the room with minimal blindspots and see what happens. And you can make a playstand (http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/51070-monster-playstand-tutorial.html) to keep him interested. Some people use playstands instead of a cage, but it all depends on the bird. :)

EDIT: You would have to teach your bird to stay put on the playstand and only play there and not go anywhere else for you to replace his cage with a playstand, by the way.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Well, some people have COMPLETE bird rooms. It is completely dedicated to their bird, and only their bird (or birds).

I've done this with a spare bedroom. Up to 5 parrots at a time are free to move about unfettered. No competition for resources as plenty of food/water available, and they do cage-hop as the doors are open. Aside from some past chewing of door trim, they are well behaved and give me no pause. No exposed electrical wiring or non-parrot fixtures. Floor is tile covered with thick painters plastic for cleanliness/protection.

There are actually 6 in the room, but a few agitate against the oldest Goffin offspring, so there are either 5 or 3 out on a rotating basis. There is never a time they are all put away.

Bottom line: it depends on the bird(s) and the dynamic.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
As people have said, it really just 'depends'. Certain individuals would never go roaming around and destroying things, other individuals (of any species) you might not be able to trust. You will just come to know how your bird is in this regard over time.

Until you can be completely confident that your particular bird will be safe in your home, and your home will be safe from the bird... give him plenty of interesting toys and foraging objects in his cage, and he will come to see his cage as not a bad thing, but like how a child (or anyone) sees the comfort and solace of their own bedroom. Birds also typically take naps during the afternoon, so if you work day schedule, chances are he's napping a good amount of that time anyway. Balance it with attention when you're home and available, and I think it will be okay. If you have the luxury of dedicating an entire room, gutted out to make an indoor aviary (a true bird room) that would sure be nice!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It depends on the individual. Many amazons, by nature, are good candidates for being out all day unsupervised. It may, however, take some time to get your bird to the 'level' he or she is trustworthy enough to let out unsupervised.

My mom's 2 amazons (except when she is cooking or cleaning or other dangerous activities) are freely out all day and have been for at least 35 years. Kiwi, my blue front took a few years to get it up to the trustworthiness to be allowed to be left out unsupervised, but now he is cage-free all day. I know a few other forum members have fee-running zons too. They tend not to stray outside their "areas" (cage, play stand ext...) and if properly trained, tend not to get in trouble (chewing things they oughtn't).

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
My CAG is great out of the cage. He is out for hours at a time with no problem but I won't leave him totally unsupervised as he has a michieveous streak... Hahhaa. I've heard of people's parrots doing great though, I think it depends on the bird.

OP
I

itsjoyceduh

Jun 9, 2015
California
Parrots
Bella the BFA
Wow! Thank You everyone for replying. I am currently building a semi monster play gym with PVC pipes. Work in progress haha. I will upload a picture as soon as I am done. Like i said I have a spare room that I would like to dedicate it for my parrot. So far after reading everyone's opinion I think I will keep him in the cage first to see how he behaves and also have him out of the cage to observe his behavior. But eventually I would like him to be able to be a free bird in his own room haha. Whats the point of giving my baby his own room to be locked in his cage hahaha ^__^

I am also thinking of purchasing a cargo net so he can go crazy "hanging" around hehe I have already went crazy buy LOTS and lots of toys for him so after building my play gym the room will be full of toys and a bird gym ^__^

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
I really recommend the cargo netting as well...great fun and makes a lot of area for them to hang out on (sorry the pun) without taking up a lot of room.

I have the cargo net hanging at an angle just above his Java play stand.

OP
I

itsjoyceduh

Jun 9, 2015
California
Parrots
Bella the BFA
Heres a sneak peak of my jungle play gym for my BFA! still need to put on vet wrap and toys! Will update final pics of the gym ^_^

IMG_5451.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Hi everyone.

I would like to ask everyone their opinion. What is your opinion on leaving a bird unsupervised? I am pretty sure most the answer is not a good idea to leave a bird unsupervised and not safe.

I have a room that is just for my amazon. In this room will just be its cage and toys and play gym for him/her to play with. Now my mom wants to leave the cage open so that he/she wont be bored when we are at work since we will be wont be home until 7-8 pm. She doesn't want the bird to be locked up in cage for such a long time because she feels that it will be sad and bored. I would like to ask everyone's advice.

The room door will be closed, there is a window so fresh air will come in ( slightly opened). But I don't know if it will be safe for the bird to be out of its cage by itself. We will take him/ her out when we get home so that it can play and interact with the family.

So what do you guys think?

In my opinion, it's how well you know your bird (or flock) and what you can expect of them and how well trained they are.

I know my flock quite well, and have their own 12 x 13 room. Plus I remodeled basement that has a room for them painted white, has lot's of lighting, and pictures up.

I can go for 3 to 4 hours and shut the door to their room and my flock has free range of their room. The Senni, Zon and Grey share that room, My Ekkie, is still a baby and getting used to the others, Our Albino Budgie wants to play with every body, so have to keep her caged when we're out. She's a ham. Both those are in other room with Julius our red factor.

3 caged, and 3 out and it's all good.

Most Reactions