leg band/tag

sparks

Sep 9, 2012
I see from another post a mention of a leg band, Mine does not have one. Is this normal ? As said in my hello post my Timneh is 40 plus we think so I just thought as he was so old it may be before the tags started.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
It just depends. Because of his age, as you surmised, he may not have one just because it was not common practice. But you should get him one now, just for identification and "just in case" purposes. The rules for birds 40 years ago were far different than they are now!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's possible he had a band but had it removed.

Instead of placing an open band on him which may be a big danger to him and/or bother him a lot, I would recommend looking into getting him microchipped.... that is, if you want a method of a way to keep track of him should he get lost.

If interested, try to find a local avian vet in your area.

The majority of my birds have not had leg bands. In fact, out of all the birds I've cared for, I can only recall that for sure that two had leg bands. Might have had a few others... out of my current birds, only one has a leg band.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
Leg bands are not mandatory, but they are good for Identification Purposes. I have a Congo who is banded. My Timneh is not. I would have preferred the TAG, Babu, to be banded. Most states do not require banding, except for birds, which are threatened or endangered species.

Most Reactions

Latest posts