Cockatiel seems annoyed by leg band + tips on removal?

Bekyro

Sep 18, 2020
Denmark
Parrots
Female Lutino Cockatiel named Luna
Make Cinnamon Cockatiel names Cin
So I recently got to welcome a new member to my flock. First off, heā€™s amazing and I love him. But the thing Iā€™m unsure about that is causing me to post here is his leg band. The leg band is not a permanent one and is instead a temporary one of plastic that folds around his leg twice and was placed there by the breeder. When I later asked the breeder over text while talking about how he was adjusting I learned he placed it there to mark him (if Iā€™m not mistaken it was to mark he had a buyer for him) and forgot to remove it before I picked him up.

He seems annoyed by it and while itā€™s not constantly he does bite at it like around 10-20 times a day. Iā€™m going to remove it and will be on the phone with the breeder during it to help guide me through it, Iā€™m mainly posting here to hear if you guys have any tips on it and/or any signs I should be aware of that itā€™s a big bother and should be removed quickly as Iā€™m not familiar with leg bands.

Currently I want to build up a bit of trust between us before I go ahead and remove it, although I will most likely aim to do it within the next few days.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Lastly, an obligatory pic of the cutie, whom Iā€™m thinking of naming Cin. Heā€™s super sweet, gentle, adventurous and likes to sing
IMG_1227.jpeg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congrats on your new baby and welcome to the forums! I highly suggest taking your bird to an avian vet to have the band removed instead of doing it yourself. Avian vets are very experienced with this and it normally doesnā€™t cost much at all.

OP
Bekyro

Bekyro

Sep 18, 2020
Denmark
Parrots
Female Lutino Cockatiel named Luna
Make Cinnamon Cockatiel names Cin
Congrats on your new baby and welcome to the forums! I highly suggest taking your bird to an avian vet to have the band removed instead of doing it yourself. Avian vets are very experienced with this and it normally doesnā€™t cost much at all.
Thank you, Iā€™ll look into it. Currently Iā€™m at the stage that unless it needs to be removed quickly and is causing discomfort I would like to learn as much as possible and figure out my options. I want to make sure itā€™s the easiest and least stressful process for him

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Absolutely. I think the vet would be the easiest and least stressful for him. When you can itā€™s better to have an ā€œoutsiderā€ do the stressful things so the bird doesnā€™t associate you with a negative experience.

I had my birdā€™s band removed as a safety precaution because I wasnā€™t comfortable with the risk of getting it caught on anything. Only took the vet a couple seconds and was quick and painless for her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you, Iā€™ll look into it. Currently Iā€™m at the stage that unless it needs to be removed quickly and is causing discomfort I would like to learn as much as possible and figure out my options. I want to make sure itā€™s the easiest and least stressful process for him
I wouldn't do it myself for several reasons not the least of which is the risk of injuring or fracturing his leg. Small birds like cockatiels have such slender fragile legs. I fear that if he started struggling while you are trying to remove it his leg could snap. Yikes!

Most Reactions