Let the screaming begin

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
My sweet little Indy is coming out of her shell... but I don't know if this is the best thing. So a little advice is greatly appreciated.

Problem 1: she's began to scream during the day, for as long as she wants. I know birds make noise, that's not the issue, the issue is, my husband works nights, so sleeping during the day is vital. He gets off at about 6am and he complains that the screaming starts at the latest 9am. (Know clue what this sounds like because I work during the day time and she doesn't do this on the weekend when I'm home). My first thought, she realizes he's home and wants some attention, since her cage is in the living room, I've asked him to experiment with me and lay on the couch to see if that'll settle her, I figured she was just calling out to him. After great resistance, he tried sleeping on the couch and said that the screaming went from a high pitched scream to some kind of sing-song weird thing that's he's never heard of. (I think she was attempting to mock the cellphone alarm clocks).

What can I do or what should I try to do to relive some of the noise? I'm in no way trying to silence her but I don't want the hubby hating the bird and being cranky.

I will have to start putting her outside when I leave for work and bring her back into the apt when I get home if all else fails. We have a screened in porch so she'll be covered from the elements and in the shade. (we live in FL, beautiful daytona beach). but I really don't want to have to put her outside if I can avoid it.

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Squirrel-GCC (suspected male),
Alice- female cockatiel,
Beattle- male lineolated parakeet,
No name yet- female lineolated parakeet
Dingo- male American budgie,
Darwin- male English Budgie
You could try playing some background noise. Radio, jungle sounds, just avoid anything where she could pick up something less then desirable to repeat. If she likes being outside, and it's safe, that might be really nice for her! I might put a layer of wire grid outside the screen if it's to become a long-term bird enclosure though, lots of predators can tear through screen if they are determined, including humans.

OP
L

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
If I have to put her out, she'll be in her cage and she'll have to go back to using her smaller cage to sleep in. I don't know if she likes it outside, she only goes out when I get off work and take the dog out. Then she peacefully sits on my shoulder and fixes my hair'

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Alice- female cockatiel,
Try putting her outside when you're home, but not with her, and see what she does. Worth a try, I would rather spend my day outside with things to look at then the same old things indoors. I don't have a screened area or I would put my birds outdoors more. And I don't know why I didn't think about moving her cage with her, doy.

Has your husband tried making a soft noise back just to acknowledge her (when he's still out of sight)? Though if she doesn't quiet down when he's in the room, that might not work.

Thekatsmeow

Aug 14, 2012
Athens,Tennessee
Parrots
Scottie Rotten the Massively Minute Macaw
Get your husband to give her a foraging toy or anything that will keep her busy just before he goes to sleep. She might be too occupied to scream.

OtterKin

Mar 22, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Parrots
Alice- female cockatiel,
He could also try misting her, or giving her a bath in whatever form she likes it in. Birds are usually busy preening after a bath to scream, so it might break her cycle enough for her not to start afterwards.

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
What kind of bird is your Indy? Normally Pois are well known for their quietness. My Sennie is so quiet that when he finally does make some noise I get all excited. You mentioned you live in Florida so having the bird in the porch should be okay. Just fill the cage with toys lots of food and treats. You will have to make a comprise or hubby might ask you to get rid of the bird. So think it through and all the best.

madatter

Jan 31, 2012
Billy only screams for attention, normally its when the daughter (his favorite) as walked in and not been over to say hello. It could be an attention searching thing, you need to careful no to enforce it by reacting to it.

OP
L

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
Billy only screams for attention, normally its when the daughter (his favorite) as walked in and not been over to say hello. It could be an attention searching thing, you need to careful no to enforce it by reacting to it.

I totally reinforced it. When we first got Indy, she was constantly shaking and quivering. I don't know what her past experience was but she didn't take kindly to the move in with us, so every noise she made, got her attention and "its okays". I've tried ignoring the scream she does for attention and positively reinforce the good noises but I think she's smarter then me to be honest. I was in the bathroom getting ready to go out with my husband and she was doing her attention noise, so I ignored her, when she made her positive noise, I answered her and told her I was near and such, after that, she went what I thought was silent. My 60lbs dog then ran into the bedroom and my husbands calls me from the hallway, Indy literally climbed down from her cage and was walking to the bathroom to find me. When I came out the bathroom she made the positive noise again, as if to say...oh, there you are.

OP
L

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
What kind of bird is your Indy? Normally Pois are well known for their quietness. My Sennie is so quiet that when he finally does make some noise I get all excited. You mentioned you live in Florida so having the bird in the porch should be okay. Just fill the cage with toys lots of food and treats. You will have to make a comprise or hubby might ask you to get rid of the bird. So think it through and all the best.

Indy is a Senegal parrot. A very vocal sennie at that. I've put her outside for the last two days, no other option from the hubby, and she's meet plenty of new bird friends to call over... however, my hubsand is now trapped in the house when I am away, so that she doesn't get in the habit of calling to him if she knows he's home.

OP
L

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
Just a quick update:

Indy LOVES being outside during the day, I actually think she likes being outside more than she likes being in the house. She's doing all sorts of whistles/screeches/grumble things out there and when I wake up in the morning, she immediately starts this low little whistles, as if to tell me she's ready to go out. The first few days she ran around the cage in the morning when I went to take her out, but now she's stepping right up and climbing to the front of the cage when I go to get her.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I think you should mist her so that she is busy preening, give her foraging toys or maybe get her a fun,big one to explore. It's great she loves the outside, I guess you found the answer to the problem.

OP
L

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
I think you should mist her so that she is busy preening, give her foraging toys or maybe get her a fun,big one to explore. It's great she loves the outside, I guess you found the answer to the problem.

She doesn't like being misted, the closet I've gotten her to a shower was literally putting her on my shoulder and taking her in with me.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Just a quick update:

Indy LOVES being outside during the day, I actually think she likes being outside more than she likes being in the house. She's doing all sorts of whistles/screeches/grumble things out there and when I wake up in the morning, she immediately starts this low little whistles, as if to tell me she's ready to go out. The first few days she ran around the cage in the morning when I went to take her out, but now she's stepping right up and climbing to the front of the cage when I go to get her.

Yeaaa! Im glad to hear she loves it out there. And glad the hubs is happier (he is right?) :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts