Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
[ame="https://youtu.be/_YcWX9I7crY"]African Grey (Lhakyi) Flight Training. - YouTube[/ame]

Lhakyi is a 5 years old rescue. He was a plucker. He came to me without primary feathers on his left wing. He dropped like a rock when he got spooked. After 9 months, almost all the missing primaries had grown back. But he had no confidence to fly. I had to 'force' him by giving him a light toss to encourage him to fly. We started at 2ft distance. Within a week he could do 20ft indoor flight without tossing.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
You sure seem to have the knack for flight training very impressive. Timneh and i are working on things. I'm a bit of a slacker. Timneh is learning how to be my best friend,
LOL. Thats what most of our training is.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
haha I've been seeing your little sessions on facebook, he's really getting the hang of it

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great video and loved the slow-motion segments!!!

Noted that there are still several Primary feathers missing from one side and that he is activity adjusting the other Wing to augment that loss. As the additional Primary Wing feathers come in he will auto adjust to the gain in compression of air under him. You will see it in more precise landings and turning at slower speeds.

Thank-you again, for the great video!

I am assuming that his Plucking has decreased as his flight abilities have increased?

As part of your yearly wellness exam with his CAV Avian Vet that you always remind your CAV that you have a full flighted Parrot! This will account for his additional weight (muscle mass) and the advance knowledge that he will be a very strong Parrot and that handling can become more difficult.

As part of your training, consider training to include examination 'positions' that are useful for your CAV. A very strong 'flighted' Parrot can become difficult to hold and your training will easy your CAV's effort and comfort your Parrot.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you Mr. Boats that explains a lot for me also. I felt like Timneh had lost weight but on the scale she's actually 5 grams heavier than her normal weight. She's been flying a lot more now and has gotten pretty good with two more trimmed feathers still needs to be replaced on her wings. He's becoming a lean mean flying machine. She's got a ways to catch up to Kilaya like racing Bolt.

OP
Erithacus

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Great video and loved the slow-motion segments!!!

Noted that there are still several Primary feathers missing from one side and that he is activity adjusting the other Wing to augment that loss. As the additional Primary Wing feathers come in he will auto adjust to the gain in compression of air under him. You will see it in more precise landings and turning at slower speeds.

Thank-you again, for the great video!

I am assuming that his Plucking has decreased as his flight abilities have increased?

As part of your yearly wellness exam with his CAV Avian Vet that you always remind your CAV that you have a full flighted Parrot! This will account for his additional weight (muscle mass) and the advance knowledge that he will be a very strong Parrot and that handling can become more difficult.

As part of your training, consider training to include examination 'positions' that are useful for your CAV. A very strong 'flighted' Parrot can become difficult to hold and your training will easy your CAV's effort and comfort your Parrot.

He had stopped plucking months ago except on the neck part. I have an outdoor aviary and he is spending a few hours a day foraging the palm fronds. This helps a lot to keep him busy.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Definitely love your flight training video's. Beautiful fids..and countryside! :)

Jim

Most Reactions